Admitted to NMU? Registered for Orientation? Great!

Now you want to know about registering for your first semester courses. How course registration happens for you depends on your situation. 

First-Year Students admitted in good standing or Transfer Students with less than 12 credits

You will be assigned a block of classes through the First Year Experience (FYE) program. Your classes are based on your intended academic major (even if you are undecided.) Class blocks are developed by academic departments and professional advising staff and each block provides a combination of classes related to your academic major and general education graduation requirements. During orientation, you will be able to meet with your academic adviser to finalize your schedule. Learn more about the First Year Experience Program

Admitted for Summer (Classes start in May and June)

Please contact the Orientation Office (Academic And Career Advising) at 906-227-1707 for assistance with summer course registration.  Registration for summer courses opens in mid-March.

First-Year Students Conditionally Admitted

During orientation, you will take a placement test to help determine placement in your first semester block of classes and will meet with your academic adviser to finalize your schedule. Learn more about our Academic Support Program. 

Transfer Students with more than 12 college credits (after high school graduation)

If you complete transfer student orientation online, instructions and class registration dates will be available at the end of your session. If you attend the transfer student orientation held on NMU's campus, you will register for your classes during your orientation session with the assistance of your academic adviser. If you have questions about this process, please call the Academic and Career Advisement Center at 906-227-2971.

Re-entry Student

If this is not your first time attending Northern, you likely have already participated in orientation and may sign up for classes as soon as registration opens for all students, based on your credits earned. For help with registration or with any holds on your account, call the Student Service Center at 906-227-1221.