Our Residence Halls
Northern Michigan University has nine distinct residence hall communities. Each hall is comprised of smaller communities, called houses, of about 45 students each. These houses share the hall identity but have their own personalities, expectations, traditions, governments, and activities. Some house names include: Hogwarts, Moose Lodge, and Aurora.
The Woods: NMU’s newest residence hall complex.
- 1200 bed facility with six buildings, four floors each.
- Room floor plans include suite-style living where you and your roommate share a bathroom with your two suite mates or private bedroom living where you have your own bedroom and share a bathroom with three other students.
- The complex will also include a main street corridor connecting residence halls, classrooms, study spaces and dining, volleyball and broomball courts, laundry facilities at no cost and a multipurpose space featuring a fireplace, 24/7 study space and a patio.
Quad I and II: Includes Hunt Hall, Spalding Hall, Meyland Hall, Magers Hall and Van Antwerp Hall.
- Suite style living where you and your roommate share a bathroom with your two suitemates.
- Study rooms, TV rooms, kitchens and lounge spaces in each hall.
- Laundry facilities included in your total cost.
- Lofting kits are available for students who wish to loft their beds.
- Painting projects to personalize your house.
Wondering about the food? There are plenty of places around campus where you can use your meal plan. Your "constant pass" meal plan allows you to eat as much as you want as often as you would like in our Northern Lights Dining Hall or Wildcat Den. Plus, you'll have plenty of dining dollars to spend at many restaurants around campus like Fieras, Starbucks or Melted, a specialty grilled-cheese eatery in Hedgcock with over 1300 different combinations of grilled cheese sandwiches!
Reserve Your Housing
- Reserve your residence hall room through your MyNMU Account and pay your $50 application fee.
- Finalize your room reservation and pay your $200 advanced payment through your MyNMU Account. (Once in the Touchnet system, click on eDeposit, select your term and select deposit payment: Residence Hall.)
- On-Campus Apartments - Select this option to apply for an on-campus apartment (see if you qualify below).
- Other printable forms for housing are available, as well.
If you are over 21 or of junior class rank or higher, you may want to consider the convenience of living in an NMU on-campus apartment. For more information on apartments or residence hall living at NMU, visit the Housing and Residence Life website. Note: You can obtain off-campus housing information (updated regularly) from the Dean of Students Office.
Questions? Please contact the Housing office at 906-227-2620.