Congratulations and Welcome!
Congratulations on your graduate student admission to Northern Michigan University! Whatever your reasons for returning to school, we’ve designed this page to help you with the next steps to enrollment at NMU. If you have further questions please contact your academic department or the Graduate Office at 906-227-2300.
If you have previously attended NMU, you may have already completed some of these steps. If that’s the case for you, welcome back!
We've also created a more detailed and self-guided, asynchronous optional online orientation for graduate students for your convenience. If you’re an international graduate student, you can find more information on international student services here.
Your MyNMU account provides online access to resources and information including course registration, financial aid estimates, textbook ordering, eBill statements, Public Safety services, campus employment, academic feedback, and much more. It also links to your NMU email and our online course management system. You'll need it for many other steps in the process.
Plan Your Financials
Some financial aid is available internally, though many students may still qualify for federal and external. Be sure to complete your FAFSA and send it to NMU to determine your eligibility with our Financial Aid Office. You can also explore our donor-funded scholarships and other financial aid available to graduate students.
Meet Your Adviser & Schedule Classes
All graduate students seeking a degree or certificate should work closely with their departmental academic advisor to schedule courses. If you are a non-degree student you don’t need to meet with an advisor and can register yourself using these instructions. For advisor information, students should contact their academic department.
You will be able to register for classes at or after the graduate registration time on the registration week schedule.
Other Steps to Consider
- Schedule a Tour (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Plan your housing
- Get your Wildcat Express Card
- Explore on-campus dining meal plans and locations
- Learn about our TLC Laptop Program and laptops for full-time students (optional for online students)
- Explore student employment and career opportunities
- Get involved. All graduate students are automatically part of the Graduate Student Association, organized by and for graduate students. Check your emails for GSA updates or join the "NMU Graduate Student Association" Facebook page. Graduate students can also explore other student organizations
- Explore campus and local resources for commuter and nontraditional students
Our office posts news and updates on our website here, and you can mark your calendars ahead of time for event dates and deadlines. You can also start meeting people now through NMU's social community on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and with the hashtag #shareNMU. The Graduate Office also has its own presence on LinkedIn.