To submit a Maintenance Request, please log into your MyNMU account. Under the Student Services tab, select the link for the Housing Portal. Select the More Tasks tab at the top of the screen, then Maintenance Requests. 

If your repair is an emergency and happens after regular business hours (between 8am and 5pm), please contact your Community Adviser. If you cannot reach a Community Adviser, contact Public Safety at 906-227-2151.


When placing a Maintenance Request, please have the following information ready:

  • Building and apartment number
  • Telephone number
  • Action requested
    (What needs to be done and in what specific area. For example, bathroom sink drips.)
  • Permission to enter
    (Yes/No and if no, indicate the best date and time for a repair person to attend to the issue.)