STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS
Have you ever considered doing a semester, summer, or year-long abroad? Here in the International Programs Office we've worked to curate world class study abroad opportunities with different partners. Each partner has a wide variety of programs and places to study abroad. To learn more check click on the links below:
Exchange programs offer students a wonderful opportunity to study abroad at a cost comparable to a semester at NMU. This is a great way to experience new cultures while earning academic credit. NMU has several exchange opportunities in Europe and Asia which you can learn about below.
NMU FACULTY-LED AND SERVICE LEARNING PROGRAMS
Faculty-led and Service Learning programs offer a unique opportunity to study abroad with NMU faculty and/or staff. These programs vary by year and are traditionally short-term, intensive programs that occur during the summer. To learn more about the current academic year's program, click below.
NMU Faculty-Led Programs
Not all faculty-led programs are offered on an annual basis. What makes these programs unique?
- Expert course content and leadership from NMU faculty and staff
- Travel portion of the course is short-term, intensive, and economical in cost
- Flexible option for students whose NMU schedule is packed during the fall and winter
- Travel with friends, old and new! A comfortable strategy for students new to international travel
2023 NMU Faculty-Led Programs are back!
Superior Edge Service Learning Abroad
Not all service-learning programs are offered on an annual basis. You can ask the Center for Student Enrichment about the next scheduled rotation for a program of interest. What makes these programs unique?
- A concentrated opportunity to earn Superior Edge service learning hours in a fun and cultural way
- Flexible travel option for students whose NMU schedule is packed during the fall and winter
- Travel with friends–old and new–a secure strategy for students new to international travel
Check back for specific offerings and dates.
Semester, Summer, or Year Abroad
Have you ever considered taking a summer, semester, or year of classes abroad?
With our partners, there are great opportunities for you to experience classrooms on the flip-side of the globe and gain an in-depth view of world cultures up-close and daily! The benefits of studying abroad for students in college are numerous, and traveling overseas for school doesn't have to be as expensive as you think. In fact, some nations experience cheaper cost of living than the United States.
Our program partners:
- International Studies Abroad (ISA) provides students the opportunity to spend a semester, year, summer, or internship abroad in locations throughout the world. You can also add service learning experiences onto your study abroad if you wish!
- The Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) offers students the opportunity to use the world as their classroom, and can create customized options and "block" programming, so that a student could study in up to 3 different locations in one semester.
- Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU) allows students to experience Japan up close.
This program is in partnership with Eastern Michigan University! Through a generous donation from the Nora & Guy Barron Fund for Israel Study Abroad - the costs for this exciting new program are sufficiently reduced. Please contact the International Programs Office for more information on application to the program.
Exchange Opportunities are study abroad opportunities at international universities that have direct relationships with NMU! Learn more here: NMU Exchange Partners
NMU also has enrollment partnerships with:
- Salzburg College, Austria
- The University of Roehampton, England
- Edge Hill University, England
- Oxford University - Honors Study Abroad Opportunity, England
Why consider a longer term abroad?
Spending more time abroad can help you to break out of your comfort zone, become more independent, and challenge yourself with uncommon experiences that help you gain a better sense of who you are and what’s important. If a foreign language is your goal, being immersed in a culture that speaks the language you want to learn is the quickest and most effective way to learn it. When you study overseas, you can also take courses you don’t have the opportunity to take at home. You can also explore new hobbies or sports that aren’t as popular (or possible) to practice, and learn to interact with a culture different from your own. Most students who’ve studied abroad claim their time overseas was the best year of college. You’ll meet new friends who will want to share their culture, ideas, and learn about your, while creating lasting memories and developing life-long relationships.
Immersing yourself in a totally different culture is powerful. You’ll experience things like trying different foods, celebrating traditional customs, and learning the history of another country. A person’s culture reflects deep perceptions, beliefs, and values that influence their way of life. You’ll gain an understanding of this that can’t be taught with books. Previously held beliefs about foreign countries will change once you’ve been abroad. You may gain a new perspective on your own country too. It can be surprising just how much you know is slightly biased, based on where you’re from. It’s also a unique opportunity to educate others on your country, dispelling their stereotypes about you! Do you need more reasons? This article will give you 10!