Welcome NMU Parents!
Northern Michigan University is excited to share this time with you. We know some of you have a lot of questions, or just want to know more about the opportunities and resources available to your student during their time at NMU.
Town Hall Sessions
As students register for their own Orientation, they can also sign up parents and guardians who are interested in learning more about NMU by providing your name and email address. In lieu of in-person Parent Orientation, we will be holding optional Live Town Hall sessions virtually:
- Winter Orientation: TBD
- Summer Orientation 2021:
- Tuesday, June 29th at 7:00pm EDT
- Saturday, July 10th at 2:00pm EDT
- Wednesday, July 14th at 7:00pm EDT
The Town Hall sessions are hosted by President Fritz Erickson and Dean of Students Chris Greer. They will provide insight and advice, and answer your questions live. Links to access the Town Hall session(s) will be emailed to you, as well as a form for submitting questions. You can also access these links here:
Orientation Video Playlist
Our virtual orientation playlist for parents and guests include important information about your students' transition to college as well as information about financial aid, residence hall payments and options, health insurance, student rights and responsibilities, and more. All parent orientation information is provided virtually. Check out our virtual parent orientation playlist of videos on NMU's YouTube channel from key departments on campus to share information, or check out our parent resources page by clicking on the link below.
Parent/Guest Orientation Fee
Due to COVID-19 and the cancelation of all in-person orientation sessions, the parent fee has been waived for Winter 2021 and all Summer 2021 orientations.
During Orientation we take an anonymous survey, here are some of the comments written in by past Parents/Guests:
- "Thank you! The program exceeded my expectation and was very helpful." - Summer 2019
- "I was initially hesitant that my son was leaving and coming so far especially when he had so many opportunities closer. After orientation, I know for certain he made the right choice. I have no doubt when my son is my age he will still be a wildcat! Thank you all so much!" - Summer 2019
- "So glad I did this. As a commuter student 32 years ago. My parents missed an enormous amount of valuable information that I am grateful to know now. Great program." - Summer 2019