The Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for preparing, interpreting, negotiating, and accepting agreements for all sponsored projects funded via grants, cooperative agreements, reimbursement agreements or contracts. The Office of Sponsored Programs also prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. The Office of Sponsored Programs’ specific responsibilities during the post award management process include:
- Advising the PI and project personnel during the period of the award regarding his/her obligations under the terms and conditions of the award.
- Serving as the office of record for all awards.
- Advising faculty and staff regarding the sponsor's and University's prior approval requirements for changing aspects of the project.
- Reviewing award modifications to ensure the scope of work and terms and conditions are acceptable to the PI and are consistent with University policies.
- Accepting or executing modifications to sponsored agreements (grants, cooperative agreements or contracts) on behalf of Northern Michigan University.
- Distributing award documents and award synopsis to the PI and appropriate academic and administrative units.
- Interpreting sponsor policies, University policies and federal and state regulations related to the terms and conditions of the award, the conduct of the project and the delivery/reporting of project results.
- Serving as a liaison between the PI, project staff, administrative unit staff, and sponsor.
- Assisting with disputes on contractual terms.
Grant Award Process
- Award Notice Received
- Routed to Lindsey Butorac, Controller's Office**
- Obtain final signatures and return to funder**
- PI submits a request for an organizational number
- PI submits any budget revisions to Grants Office
- Controller's Office establishes grant account**
- Controller's Office establishes Cognos account for PI**
- Cognos training is available upon request**
- Sponsored Programs Office schedules a grant award meeting*
- Attended by PI, Sponsored Programs office staff, and L. Butorac*
- Begin spending budget and tracking
*Assistance provided by the Sponsored Programs Office
**Assistance provided by the Controller's Office