Theatre Degrees at NMU
NMU offers two theatre associate's degrees, four theatre bachelor's degrees, and a minor. All of the programs are designed to give students a wealth of experience in whichever area of theatre they choose to focus on. Each theatre program at NMU is rooted in hands-on experience and one-on-one learning opportunities with our instructors. Our theatre degrees include:
- Theatre Performance (Associate of Arts)
- Theatre Technology (Associate of Arts)
- Acting (BFA)
- Musical Theatre (BFA)
- Theatre Technology and Design (BFA)
- Theatre and Entertainment Arts (BA)
- Theatre and Entertainment Arts Minor
Dance Degrees at NMU
Northern offers an associate's degree, a bachelor's degree, and a minor in dance. The Bachelor of Arts/Science in Dance at NMU focuses on technique, composition, performance, pedagogy, and science to create well-rounded, critical thinking dance professionals. Whether their chosen focus is on stage or behind the scenes, students will have the option to add a “track” to the required coursework to create an individualized educational experience based on their needs post-graduation.
- Dance (Associate of Arts)
- Dance (BA)
- Dance (BS)
- Dance Minor
Academic Programs in the Department of Theatre and Dance
One of the finest and most active undergraduate theatre and dance programs in the country can be found at Northern Michigan University. If you’re interested in pursuing a theatre or dance-related career, and are willing to work hard to gain the necessary experience and skills, then a theatre or dance degree from NMU may be for you!
Opportunities to Get Involved
As a student in the Department of Theatre and Dance, you will have the opportunity to become involved in many aspects of NMU's theatrical productions, from performing, directing, or choreographing to working on production, design, and technical teams. These are all experiences from which you will gain critical knowledge and acquire marketable skills and competencies.
The Department of Theatre and Dance also offers offstage employment opportunities in our marketing office/box office as well as our costume, scene, and electrics shops. Learn more below:
- Marketing office employees help design programs and other print materials, create exciting social media posts, and handle all marketing and advertising for the Theatre and Dance Department.
- Box office employees sell tickets, work as house managers and ushers, and warmly welcome patrons to NMU Theatre and Dance.
- Costume shop employees create and alter costumes for all of our productions. From sewing to sizing, the costume shop makes sure our actors are always looking fabulous!
- Scene shop employees paint and build all of the sets and scenic elements for every show.
- Electrics shop employees light up the stage! They take care of the lighting and sound elements of each production.