2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Bulletin

The Northern Michigan University Semester Deletion Policy is designed for students who had a poor academic performance at NMU and who return to the university after an extended period of time to continue their education. It is of greatest benefit to students who have changed majors upon readmission, and whose academic record contains poor grades in courses that are not required in their new field of study. Students eligible to apply the policy will have one semester of grades deleted from their GPA. All original grades will still be included in the GPA calculations made for financial aid purposes per the NMU Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy at nmu.edu/finaidsap.

Students must fulfill each of the following conditions to be eligible to delete the semester grades:

  • Students cannot have attended any community college, college or university during at least a three-year period before re-entering NMU.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 12 credits (excluding courses below the 100 level) after readmission with an overall GPA of 2.50 in these courses.
  • Students must be enrolled at NMU at the time they exercise this policy.
  • Students may select one semester of grades (prior to readmission) to be deleted from their NMU record. All grades for the semester, including any passing grades, will be deleted, except for courses which have been repeated.
  • Students may implement this policy only once.

Note: When this policy is exercised, grades will be replaced by “W” grades, insuring a re-computation of the GPA. Academic standing, such as suspensions and dismissals, will not be affected. Any courses that are stricken, regardless of previous grade, no longer meet any academic program requirements. Required courses must be retaken and satisfactorily completed to earn a degree, certificate, or diploma.

Semester deletion applications are available in the Academic and Career Advisement Center. Students interested in the policy or who have questions regarding the policy should consult with Academic and Career Advisement Center staff.