Youth Programs at NMU
Northern offers a variety of youth camps all throughout the summer. Learn more about how scientists incorporate technology and field experiences in the environment or investigate if you have a talent for the culinary arts. Practice your jump shot or your spike in one of our overnight sports camps, or just spend the day learning more about cybersecurity. Let us help your student keep their mind and body active at one of our many summer camps on our campus this summer.
Please note: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, all youth programming through July 31, 2020 has been canceled or postponed.
This camp is an introduction for High School Age students to the world of computer coding, programming, and creating through technology. Students will explore different coding platforms, app development, networking basics, and cybersecurity topics in this hands-on, challenged based summer experience. No previous computer programming experience is required.
Environmental Science Camp
High school students are invited to join us to explore the scenic vistas and natural resources of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! Students will experience first hand how scientists incorporate technology and field experiences to study the changing environment and sustainability issues.
- Explore pristine inland lakes and hike ancient mountains as you learn how people have interacted for thousands of years with the landscapes of the Upper Peninsula.
- Experience modern-day Marquette while learning about urban planning and historical aspects of urban growth.
- Visit the student-created Superior Acre Permaculture garden on campus to learn about the possibilities of sustainable agriculture.
- Paddle the AuTrain River to monitor water quality issues.
- Work in the Digital Learning Design Laboratory of the Glenn T. Seaborg Math & Science Center to create a movie highlighting experiences of the week.
Wildcat Youth Camp
Wildcat Youth Camp is a traditional day camp for children from kindergarten through 5th grade. NMU is the perfect setting for camp, featuring a centrally located base site for camp and indoor and outdoor spaces to accommodate a wide range of activities.
Your child’s camp experience is our #1 priority, so our focus is on teaching new skills, promoting teamwork, encouraging sportsmanship and making sure that we understand and recognize the unique abilities and interests of your child. Join us all week long or pick a day or two that best fits your busy schedule. Programmed activity time is 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Early morning and late afternoon times will be used as kids’ choice time.
Career Exploration Camps
Students will get hands-on experience exploring various careers in skilled trades and engineering. With half-day and full-day camp options available, students will get the opportunity to explore areas of interest with guidance and instruction from NMU faculty and other trained professionals from around the community.