Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - NMU Truck Driving School
Commerical Driver's License's (CDL) positions remain in high demand and often pay higher wages and benefits. Data shows demand for this occupation will rise over the next 10 years.
This non-credit course is offered through the Continuing Education & Workforce Development Department at Northern Michigan University.
Students train in our conveniently located classroom and lab at the Jacobetti Complex on NMU's campus.
All driving will be done with our industry-specific semi-trucks.
Class sizes are limited to 8 students per session.
Sessions taught by a Certified Truck Driver Education Provider.
Students should be ready to test for their CDL in 4/5 weeks!
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must qualify to obtain a valid Commercial Learner's Permit (highly recommended to obtain before classes start).
- Must have documentation of a valid DOT physical and drug screen before the class starts. Click here and enter the ZIP code to view list of local providers who are listed on the National Registry of Certified Examiners. Students MUST use a Physician on this list.
- Not Required: High School Diploma or GED.
* Schedule for the 2022-2023 season
November 28 - December 23, 2022 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
January 16 - February 17, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 12:00pm for 5 weeks
March 6 - April 7, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 12:00pm for 5 weeks
April 10 - May 5, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
May 9 - June 2, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
June 5 - June 30, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
July 17 - August 11, 2023 - Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
August 14 - September 8, 2023 Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm for 4 weeks
Choose one session.
- The cost is $4,000 per session. This includes classroom and driving instructions.
- Must be paid in advance.
- Textbook: $50.
- Payment plans available.
- This program is not eligible for federal assistance through the FAFSA application.
- Resources for funding assistance may be available for eligible students.
- Alternative loan options are now available for those who qualify. Please contact our office to discuss these payment options!
- The CDL course is approved by the State of Michigan to accept all VA benefits, including vocational rehabilitation for tuition payment.
To register, complete this registration form and return by mail, email or fax.
Address: Northern Michigan University
Continuing Education & Workforce Development
1401 Presque Isle Ave.
Marquette, MI 49855
Phone: (906) 227-2103 or Fax: (906) 227-2108
Provider number: P000678