- Comply with the regular admission requirements of the College of Graduate Studies and Research, which includes an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0.
Students transferring to the Master of Interdisciplinary Studies degree program from another NMU graduate program must not have completed more than 8 credit hours from the program in which they were admitted. Also, students must not have any graduate course with a grade lower than a B and otherwise be in good standing.
All Applicants must submit:
- Graduate admission application and fee.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions.
- A letter of intent.
- A resume or CV.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Students are admitted to the graduate school conditionally until an approved plan of study is on file.
Application Due Dates
MIS Interdisciplinary Studies Curriculum
Individualized programs must be based in departments that currently offer master's degree programs or graduate courses.
For department information or additional degree requirements, go to the College of Graduate Studies & Research department page.
|Total Credits Required
|Plan of Study Core Courses
|Graduate coursework in a primary discipline
|Graduate coursework in a secondary discipline
|Up to 8 credit hours of elective courses approved by the advisor
|Must complete a capstone project approved by the advisor
- The proposed master’s degree must equal at least 32 semester hours excluding any deficiency credits.
- The student must develop a plan of study with an advisor that has been approved for graduate faculty status from his/her primary department.
- Secondary disciplines (departments/divisions) are defined as those disciplines in which eight semester hours of course work are proposed at the master’s level.
- The student must be eligible to take courses in both the primary and secondary disciplines and/or take all prerequisite course work to become eligible.
- The student must complete a graduate capstone project which may be a thesis, a graduate research project, internship, portfolio or exhibit.
- The plan of study and any modifications that may become necessary will be sent to the College of Graduate Studies and Research for approval.
- All programs are subject to approval by the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies and Research.
- No more than 12 credit hours of directed study.
- Minimum of 18 credit hours of 500 level course work.
- No courses older than 7 years old at the time of graduation
- At least 16 semester credits must be NMU credits
Bulletin Year: 2023 - 2024 Graduate Bulletin