The mission of the federal GEAR UP program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post secondary education. This is done by promoting academic excellence through a variety of locally designed and innovative early intervention services.
MCAN launches free statewide College Advising Hotline
Michigan high school students can now receive timely answers to their questions about postsecondary education, thanks to a new college advising hotline. Michigan College Access Network and partners launched the hotline today in response to the global health crisis caused by COVID-19, aiming to fill the gaps created by the statewide school closure order.
The hotline can be reached by calling or texting 810-373-5385. It is available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, but hours will be adjusted as necessary to best serve the needs of students. The service is staffed by college advisers from MCAN's AdviseMI program and the Michigan State University College Advising Corps. To help serve as many students as possible, the hotline initiative also is partnered with the Detroit Regional Chamber and Detroit College Access Network. For additional information, read the press release.
Virtual Tours of Michigan Colleges and Universities
Can't physically visit a campus? Check out these virtual campus tours of colleges and universities around Michigan.
- Calvin University
- Central Michigan University
- Delta College
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ferris State University
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Michigan College
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Tech University
- Mid Michigan College
- Northern Michigan University
- Northwestern Michigan College
- Northwood University
- Oakland Community College
- Oakland University
- Olivet College
- Saginaw Valley State University
- Spring Arbor University
- Southwestern Michigan College
- University of Michigan
- University Of Michigan - Flint
- Wayne State University
- Western Michigan University
Check out these resources that can assist in your preparation for furthering your education.
No access or slow access to Internet?
Charter Communications may have a solution for you. It requires documentation and an application be filled out and sent in, bringing the cost to $14.99/month.
Fastest Growing Occupations through 2026
- Solar Photovoltaic Technician ($42,680)
- Wind Turbine Service Technician ($54,370)
- Home Health Aides ($24,200)
- Personal Care Aides ($24,020)
- Physician assistants ($108,610)
- Nurse Practitioners ($107,030)
- Statisticians ($87,780)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($58,040)
- Software and Applications Developer ($103,620)
- Mathematician ($101,900)
Visit the Bureau of Labor and Statistics for more information.
Michigan's Hottest Careers through 2026
- Physician Assistants ($43- $58)
- Nurse Practitioner ($43- $55)
- Software and Applications Developer ($33- $53)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($20- $30)
- Physical Therapist ($35- $48)
- Postsecondary Health Specialty Teacher ($36- $82)
- Market Research Analysts ($21- $40)
- Occupational Therapist ($31- $45)
- Dental Hygienists ($27- $34)
- Healthcare Social Workers ($22- $31)
Visit the Michigan Department of Technology, Management, and Budget for more information.