The 25-person Committee on Diversity represents students, faculty and staff of Northern Michigan University. The committee in its current format was created in the Fall of 2012. Previously it was known as the Ethnic Culture Diversity Committee (ECDC). The revised committee now includes a wider representation across the university and into the local community, alumni base and supporters of NMU. A goal of the committee is to heighten the awareness of diversity and increase inclusion opportunities throughout NMU and the Upper Peninsula.
- To create and implement action plans to promote diversity within the framework of the university’s mission and strategic plan.
- To identify, evaluate, and respond to diversity issues.
- To identify, plan, and support activities that will encourage, promote, and recognize diversity on campus.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the Committee’s efforts and make adjustments to continually improve, including if necessary, recommending changes to the Committee’s charge.
- To direct the President’s attention to issues regarding diversity on campus and in the surrounding communities.
- To submit a report that enumerates and evaluates the Committee’s activities and makes recommendations, including recommendations regarding resource allocation, to the President by June 1 each year.