Here's what you need to know about applying to NMU's MBA program:
*NMU grads - See special admission policy below
Start by completing the Graduate Admission Application
In order to apply, applicants must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
- An undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or higher
- A GMAT or GRE equivalent score (see admission requirements for GMAT/GRE waivers)
Next, write a statement of purpose:
- 2-3 page essay format
- State the reason that you are pursuing an MBA at NMU.
- State what unique perspective, qualifications, experiences and educational assets you would bring to share with your class. Also include your goals and how the program will help you move closer to them.
Then, request 2 letters of recommendation:
- Request your letters from faculty members or professionals who are familiar with your academic progress and can address your strengths as a candidate for the program.
- If your letter writers need more information about how to write a recommendation, you can provide them this resource.
Prepare your resume or C.V.
Applicants must provide a current resume and official undergraduate transcripts.
The results of the GMAT, the applicant's undergraduate grade point average and relevant work experience will be evaluated together to determine eligibility for the program.
Application materials are reviewed by the director of MBA program and/or a three-person faculty graduate screening committee.
All first-time admits must contact the Director of the MBA Program for a scheduled Mandatory Advising/Orientation before the start of the student's intended first semester.
All official documents must be received directly from the issuing institution or individual (transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation.)
Resume and letter of intent must be provided through the application portal.
If you need further information, e-mail MBA@nmu.edu or call 906-227-1805 or 227-2900, or go to 301 Cohodas Hall.
International students must submit additional information prior to being admitted.
Applicants are required to comply with the regular admission requirements of the Office of Graduate Education and Research.
Northern Michigan University College of Business seniors who are within 12 credit hours from graduation from the undergraduate program, have completed their last 10 credits at Northern Michigan University, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, can apply to the MBA program directly. Should they meet this requirement, they shall be given a Conditional Admission pending the completion of their undergraduate degree as well as the regular eligibility requirements stated above.
Students who qualify for special admission are not required to submit two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or a current resume to support their graduate programs application. NMU alum are required to complete the application and submit official transcripts. A GMAT/GRE score is required with a GPA 2.75 – 2.99.
International students should continue to follow the existing International Students Graduate Admissions procedures.
Students applying for early admission to the MBA program must send all required documentation to:
Dr. Stacy Boyer-Davis
MBA Program Director
Office of Graduate Education and Research
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855