Who We Are
The One Book One Community program, started in 2006, a partnership between Northern Michigan University and the Marquette County community, expanded with a new name and new partner in 2019. Two Books Two Communities continues the 15-year-old program with the addition of a second book and a series of events held in Munising as well as in Marquette.
Two Books Two Communities' purpose is to share the joy of reading, the life of the mind and the free exchange of ideas through a common book. Our goal is to foster a sense of community by bringing Northern Michigan University and Marquette and Alger County readers together. An invitation is extended to the entire University community, students, faculty, staff and all Marquette and Alger County residents—and beyond—to participate!
A Brief History
A group met in January of 2006 to explore the possibilities of a countywide read that would include Northern Michigan University and Marquette County. It was decided that we would pilot the project in hopes of making it an annual event. It is modeled after a program between Michigan State University and the East Lansing community.
- To foster a sense of community by bringing Northern Michigan University and Marquette and Alger County readers together with a common book.
- To introduce new NMU students to our community and to an academic life through the reading and discussion of a chosen book.
- Lynn Domina - committee chair, NMU English Department
- Anne Donohue - committee secretary, community member
- Wendy Irish - committee treasurer, community member
- Becky Tavernini - committee publicity chair, NMU Marketing and Communications
- Chelsea Bromley - Snowbound Books
- Lisa Cromell - Munising School Public Library
- Sally Davis - community member
- Rebecca Flitton - NMU instructor
- Sue Graves - community member
- Ellen Moore-Sarjeant - Superiorland Library Cooperative
- Amy Salminen - Peter White Public Library
- Sue Szczepanski - community member, retired NMU School of Education
THANK YOU to these generous donors for providing funding for programming:
- Northern Michigan University Office of the Provost
- Northern Michigan University Marketing & Communications
- Marion Vander Veen Great Lakes Education Fund via Marquette Community Foundation
- Peter White Public Library
- Munising Public School Library
- "Book Angel" via Northern Michigan University Foundation
Donations to Two Books Two Communities are welcomed (and tax deductible)! Please contact the NMU Foundation, 906-227-2627 or email@example.com or give online. You may also ask for a donation envelope at Snowbound Books.