Emeritus Selection Policy
This policy establishes Northern Michigan University's Emeritus selection process.
This policy pertains to all individuals in the following staff groups: This policy pertains to all individuals in the following staff groups: Academic Department Heads, Administrative Professionals, Coaches, Deans, Executive Management, tenured AAUP Faculty with the rank of Professor, NMUFA Faculty with the rank of Professor, Senior Administrators, and Senior Management.
Northern Michigan University's policy requires that individuals considered for Emeritus status must be nominated, considered by the respective Vice President and formally recommended to the President, and confirmed by the Board of Trustees. To be eligible for consideration, the faculty or staff member must be assigned to a position from one of the staff groups listed above and normally have 10 or more years of outstanding service to Northern Michigan University. Northern Michigan University's Board of Trustees may nominate, consider, and bestow the Emeritus status on individuals who do not meet these eligibility requirements. Note: Length of service to the University does not, by itself, warrant consideration for this honor.
Emeritus Selection Procedure, Procedure
- Nominations may be submitted by an eligible faculty or staff member’s supervisor, colleagues, or by the Board of Trustees directly.If a colleague initiates the nomination, the nomination needs to be supported in writing by the supervisor.
- Nominations will include the following information:
- Name of individual being nominated.
- A description of the individual's service to Northern Michigan University. This should include major accomplishments, achievements, or contributions that have had a significant impact on the University.
- Submission of nominations is dependent upon the employee group:
- All AAUP faculty nominations will be submitted via memorandum, in accordance with the AAUP Master Agreement (Article 5.2), to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- All NMUFA faculty nominations will be submitted via memorandum to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- All staff nominations will be submitted via memorandum to the head of Human Resources.
- The head of Human Resources will review all staff nominations to ensure the individual meets the eligibility requirements for this honor and forward all eligible staff nominations to the respective Vice President (President) for consideration.
- If the Vice President concurs with the staff request, the Vice President will submit a formal request of recommendation for Emeritus status to the President for approval.
- The Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will ensure the faculty member meets all criteria.If the Provost concurs, a formal recommendation request for Emeritus status will be sent to the President for approval.
- If the Vice President (or the President) does not concur with the nomination request, the Vice President (or the President) will forward a written response to the individual that initiated the nomination request. The response will state that the request was received and evaluated but, was not favorably considered for submission to the Board of Trustees.
Confirmation & Honors Process:
- The Office of the President will submit for confirmation all approved staff nominations, and the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will submit for confirmation all approved faculty nominations for Emeritus status.
- Upon confirmation by the Board of Trustees to bestow the honor of Emeritus status to an individual, recognition will occur:
- A letter from the President to the individual bestowing such honors.
- The individual's name listed in on the Emeritus Faculty, Staff & Trustees webpage, at nmu.edu/emeritus.
|Oversight Unit:||PRESIDENT, OFFICE OF THE|