The Carbon Neutrality Task Force is charged with the following 5 tasks:
- Define for the NMU community the difference between the University’s sustainability plan and its Carbon Neutrality Plan, outlining the main responsibilities for each, including those for the President’s Sustainability Advisory Council and those for the to-be established carbon neutrality oversight group.
- Develop a detailed procedure for carbon neutrality oversight and measurement of the University’s carbon footprint, using the internationally recognized Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Create four phases of projects and steps that will get Northern to carbon neutrality:
- Projects and steps for academic years 2021-22 and 2022-23
- Projects and steps for academic years 2023-24 and 2024-25
- Projects and steps for years 2025 – 2030
- Projects and steps for years 2030 – 2050.
- Create a progress report on the above three steps that includes tentative timelines, estimated costs, assigned unit oversight and submit it to the President and Executive Council by March 2022 before sharing with the campus community for feedback April 2022.
- Refine the Carbon Neutrality Plan based on University community feedback and submit it to the President and Executive Committee by the end of September 2022 and then to the NMU Board of Trustees for its December 2022 business meeting for potential approval with summer implementation start.
Gavin Leach, chair, Vice President for Finance and Administration
Mike Bath, director, NMU Safety Department and chief, NMU Police Department
Bethany Beavers, president, ASNMU student government
Randy Klitzke, faculty, College of Technology and Occupational Sciences; member, President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
Sarah Mittlefehldt, faculty, Earth, Environment & Geographical Sciences, co-chair, President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
Cindy Paavola, Office of the President
Kathy Richards, Assoc. VP, Engineering & Planning/Facilities; member, President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
Brandon Sager, Engineering & Planning/Facilities; co-chair, President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
Jim Thams, Engineering & Planning/Facilities
Jes Thompson, faculty, College of Business; member, President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
- Kickoff Meeting (11-12-2021)
- November, 2021 Meeting (11-19-2021)
- December 2021 Meeting (12-3-2021)
- January 2022 Meeting (1-21-2022)
- February 2022 Meeting (2-4-2022) (2-18-2022)
- April 2022 Meeting (4-1-2022) (4-15-22)