Investing in Innovation: The vision and courage to lead transformational change.
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Academic Excellence
- Student Success
- Domestic and Global Outreach and Engagement
- Investment and Innovation
- Enhancing prestige and distinction – in ways that ensure we are known for our teaching, experiential learning, scholarship, mentoring and service.
- Establishing new and responsive approaches – for programs, services, technology and our ways of operating.
- Expanded partnerships – with alumni, friends, communities, businesses, government agencies, schools, colleges and universities, in and across academic disciplines and with people here and around the world.
- Growing and managing enrollment – strengthening our on-campus student body while increasing efforts regarding new student populations such as online, off-campus, underrepresented, international and nontraditional.
Northern Michigan University will invest in the great ideas of its stakeholders to bring about transformational change. Ideas will be evaluated by their potential for return on investment, as well as a positive impact on core values, strategic focus areas and outcomes, and the university's mission and vision. All initiatives of the Strategic Plan will include success indicators by which to evaluate progress. A university-wide Strategic Planning and Budgeting Advisory Committee will be created to help with prioritizing proposals for investment.
A set of preliminary goals was developed at the time the Strategic Plan framework was worked on. These were used as the foundation to then create a full implementation plan. Both the preliminary goals, categorized by NMU's core values, and the phase 2 implementation plan, which includes revised versions of the preliminary goals, several new goals and success indicators for each goal, underwent significant review by NMU stakeholders. In February 2018, the NMU Board of Trustees was presented with a progress report of the Strategic Implementation Goals and Plan.
- Two-Year Progress Report - Strategic Plan 2019 Update.pdf
- One-Year Progress Report - Strategic Implementation Plan_Update - February 2018.pdf
- Strategic Implementation Goals and Plan - February 2017
- Preliminary Strategic Implementation Goals - December 2015
Strategic Planning Materials:
- Board Investment 2020 Implementation Plans.pdf - approved by NMU Board of Trustees, December 2019
- Strategic Resource Allocation (SRA) Project website - where all documents related to the SRA process reside
- Strategic Plan - Investing in Innovation.pdf
- Strategic Planning and Budgeting Advisory Committee - including charter, members, meeting schedule, minutes and materials
- Strategic Implementation Goals and Plan - February 2017 - web version -- Strategic Plan - Final Implementation Plan.pdf
- Preliminary Strategic Implementation Goals - December 2015- web version -- Strategic Plan - Preliminary Goals and Implementation.pdf
- Fall 2019 - What you can do to help recruiting efforts - Opportunities to Engage in Recruitment Nov.pdf
- Fall 2017 - What you can do to help retention efforts - Opportunities To Engage In Retention.pdf
- Other strategic planning-related materials: