At the NMU Writing Center, we like to help students feel at home—which is why you don’t need an appointment to come see us! All you need to do is drop by during our business hours and bring any materials you need to work on your paper.
Here’s how your tutoring session will go once you arrive:
- Our facilitator will greet you at the door and pair you with a tutor. (During peak times, you may experience a slight wait, but don’t worry. We’ve got comfy couches and games to keep you occupied.)
- You and your tutor will complete a brief survey with your name, course, and instructor’s name, along with some information about your writing experience and goals. We ask for this information for two reasons:
- To help our tutors know how to best help you with your assignment
- To keep our records of Writing Center usage up-to-date
- Your tutor will read through your paper with you and help you work through the areas you most want to focus on. Every session looks a little different, so it’s up to you and the tutor to decide what you want to work on and what makes you feel most comfortable.
- You’re all set! After your session, the tutor will email you a copy of their notes to help you with the revision process. They will also send your instructor an attendance report that lists the day and time you visited the Writing Center.
One session may be all it takes, or you may want to come back several times as the paper progresses. Remember, the earlier you start your paper, the more time you have to make it great!