College of Business at NMU
The mission of the College of Business is to engage students with relevant academic and related programs that prepare them for a variety of successful careers and responsible engagement in society.
The college offers degree programs that foster intellectual curiosity, leadership, ethical behavior and global awareness, as well as provide quality content knowledge and develop problem solving, decision making and communication skills. Students are encouraged to work together on class projects, pursue internship opportunities and participate in college and university study abroad experiences.
The college’s programs of study include ten baccalaureate majors, eight minors, four associate degrees, and one certificate program. Each provides the student with a concentration of knowledge and skills in one of the many aspects of the business world.
The College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. It is one of 740 business programs worldwide to have this accreditation.
- American Marketing Association
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Business Professionals of America
- Gamma lota Sigma
- Institute for Managerial Accountants/Accounting Club
- NMU Team Business
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Student Managed Investment Fund
- Cybersecurity Lab
Admission to the College of Business
Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the College of Business. All baccalaureate majors (except Information Assurance/Cyber Defense, Public Relations and Sustainable Business and Enterprise Creation majors) must apply for admission.
To be eligible for admission, applicants must:
- Successfully complete the following pre-admission courses: College Composition I and II (EN 111, EN 211); Finite Mathematics (MA 113); Introduction to Probability and Statistics (MA 109); Principles of Accounting I and II (ACT 230, ACT 240); Microeconomic/Macroeconomic Principles (EC 201, EC 202); CIS 222 Quantitative Business Problem Solving (not required by CYBR majors) and other elective credits to total 48 semester credit hours.
- Complete the 48 semester credits listed above with a minimum grade point average of 2.25. Current enrollment can count toward meeting the minimum requirements; however, formal admission will not be granted until after successful completion of the minimum credits.
Note: Petition for exception to the above requirements must be made in writing and submitted to the Registrar’s Office. The petition must include reasons why an exception should be made and documentation of the reasons, if applicable.
Applications must be submitted by the following dates: For fall semester, February 15; winter semester, October 1; summer session, February 15. Applications received after these dates will not be acted upon until the following semester. Application forms are obtained at the College of Business office.
- College of Business majors cannot enroll in NMU business courses at the 300 level or above until they have been admitted to the college and have attained junior status (56 hours).*
- In order to receive a degree from the College of Business, students must complete at least 32 credit hours (24 within the College of Business) after admission to the college.
- Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree must be admitted to the College of Business.
- Students who drop enrollment from NMU and subsequently re-enroll as a business major at a later date (re-entry students) must reapply for admission to the College of Business.
- All CIS courses except CIS 110 are invalid after seven years.
*Information Assurance/Cyber Defense, Public Relations and Sustainable Business and Enterprise Creation majors are not required to apply, therefore do not need to petition for an exemption.
Grade Point Average Requirements
Associate degree students must earn a 2.00 grade point average in all business courses, except for the Insurance Associate degree program, which requires a 2.25 GPA in all business courses.
Information Systems (IS) majors or minors and IS associate degree students must earn a minimum grade of “C-” in each CS/CIS/IS course applying to their IS major, minor or associate degree.
All other baccalaureate degree students must obtain a 2.00 GPA in their (combined) business core and major courses as well as a 2.00 cumulative Northern Michigan University GPA.
All business minors must earn a 2.00 GPA.
Bulletin Year: 2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Bulletin