Donate to the Food Pantry
To make a monetary donation, contact the NMU Foundation at (906)227-2627, or give online below. Please notify the NMU Foundation that your gift is for the NMU Food Pantry.
NMU Food Pantry food and personal care donations may be dropped off in the Dean of Students Office located in the Hedgcock Building from 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
To arrange a food donation or other inquiries, contact the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com or (906)227-1700.
Campus Events Supporting the Food Pantry
- Tackling Hunger - NMU Football
- The NMU Day of Giving - NMU Foundation
- Food 4 Fines - NMU Parking Services
- Holiday Party - Employees
- Rec Sports Euchre Tournament - NMU Rec Sports
- Trick or Treat for Food - Campus Ministries
- Dance for Food - Zumbathon - Marquette Ending Hunger
- Residence Hall Move-Out - Housing and Residence Life and Dining Services
- UAW-1950 Year-End Luncheon - TOPS Union
- NMU AP Union UAW 2178
- Crop Walk - Presbyterian Campus Ministry
- NMU Alumni Association Fun Run
- NMU Dining Services and "Share your Dining Dollars"
- Aluminum Foil
- Apple Sauce
- Baking Mix - like Bisquick
- Boxed Potatoes
- Can Openers
- Canned Beans
- Canned Chicken
- Canned Fruit
- Canned Ravioli
- Canned Soup - Chunky
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Vegetables
- Cheese and Cracker Snacks
- Dental Floss
- Dish Soap
- Dried Fruit
- Feminine Pads
- Gluten Free Cereal
- Granola Bars
- Hot Sauce
- Laundry Detergent
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Milk (shelf-stable available at Dollar Tree)
- Nail Clippers
- Noodle Mix
- Pancake Mix
- Paper Towels
- Pasta Sauce
- Peanut Butter
- Plant-Based Milk (Almond and Oat)
- Rice Mix
- Salad Dressing
- Toilet Paper
NMU Food Pantry Updates
November 20, 2020
Northern Michigan University buildings are closed to the public. Please check your NMU email for updates to the NMU Food Pantry. Emergency food boxes are available at the NMU Police Department, which is located on Sugarloaf Avenue. As with all buildings, masks will be required for entrance. If you are unable to wear a mask, please call 227-2151 to request items that you need and we will arrange for an exterior pickup.
On November 24, students who need food over break will be given 7 weeks worth of shelf-stable food. The online order form is available here: https://forms.gle/UJsAh4AX4kStXSGP9
The pantry will re-open the week of January 11.
NMU Police Department will collect any donations that are brought to campus and will deliver them to the food pantry so they are there upon re-opening.
They will have a supply of emergency food boxes to give to students who they encounter who may be food insecure.
The Salvation Army and St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantries will continue to serve the community.
Salvation Army - Baraga Avenue
Mondays 9-11:30, 1-3:30
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas
Kiwanis works with the Salvation Army to provide a delivered Christmas Dinner.
St. Vincent DePaul - Presque Isle Avenue
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 1:00-4:00
August 5, 2020
Northern Michigan University buildings are now open to students. We will not be completing the pre-order system that had been in place since March 30. There will be regular hours that the NMU Food Pantry will be open during the week and the number of active shoppers will be limited. We will continue to keep you updated as we adjust to the new system. As with all buildings, masks will be required for entrance. If you are unable to wear a mask, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request items that you need and we will arrange for an exterior pickup.
May 19, 2020
On March 30, we switched to our online order system and we're thrilled to report that since that time, we have filled over 365 boxes for NMU students. This was only possible with the overwhelming support of folks in the greater NMU community.
We're looking forward to our second year of planting a vegetable garden that students will be able to harvest through October.
April 28, 2020
The NMU Food Pantry will continue operations during the summer. Beginning the week of May 4, 2020, food orders may be picked up between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday evenings. Students will continue to submit orders through the online form (above). Follow NMU Food Pantry on the Facebook for more updates. https://www.facebook.com/NMUFoodPantry/
March 31, 2020
To help keep us all safe and healthy, the NMU Food Pantry will, for the foreseeable future, be employing an online order system for patrons.
- Access the form via the URL provided below.
- Fill it out. Indicate your preferred pickup day.
- Shopping takes a bit of time. We're sending this to you on a Monday morning. If you have it submitted by Tuesday at noon, we should have your bag packed for Tuesday evening. If your form is submitted by Wednesday at noon, we should have your bag packed for Wednesday evening. If you arrive at the pantry and you have not submitted an electronic request, you will need to complete a paper request.
- Unload your order. Make sure you bring with you a box or bag to take your items home.
- The pickup location is just inside door #1, Gries Hall which is accessed off of Seventh Street.
- The form will be emailed each week to your NMU email address. Please remember, the NMU Food Pantry will never ask for your NMU password or for any billing or account information.
Either click on the following link or copy and paste it into a browser.
March 25, 2020
The NMU Food Pantry continues to serve the NMU community. Pick-up hours are Tuesday and Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in Gries Hall. In the last week we have helped several first-time shoppers whose employment has changed due to the safety restrictions that have been put into place. We wanted to share guidance provided by the state regarding new eligibility for unemployment and underemployment benefits as well as information regarding health insurance for Michigan residents.
The state has relaxed some of its eligibility requirements for unemployment and underemployment benefits, so we encourage students who lost off-campus jobs to consider filing to see if they are eligible.
The Healthy Michigan Plan offers health insurance options for Michigan residents; check eligibility here.
Articles Related to the NMU Food Pantry
September 2022 - Upper Michigan Source - TV6 News
March 2021 - US News and World Report
March 2021 - Mining Journal
August 2020 - NMU Northwind
August 2019 - Upper Michigan Source - TV6 News
November 2019 - Upper Michigan Source - TV6 News
November 2018 - The Detroit News
October 2018 - Upper Michigan Source - TV6 News
July 2018 - Upper Michigan Source - TV6 News
March 2018 - ABC 10
February 2018 - The Mining Journal
November 2017 - UP Matters