- Comply with the admission requirements of the College of Graduate Studies and Research, which includes an undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or higher
- a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university* or be enrolled in the 4+1 Accounting program at NMU
*Students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree (120-credit Accounting program) either at NMU or at another institution must demonstrate completion of these prerequisite courses (or their equivalents) before they may be considered for admission into the 4+1 Master’s sequence.
All Applicants must submit:
- Graduate admission application and fee (fee covered by College of Business for 22/23 academic year, use code MBA2233).
- Official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions.
- a GMAT or GRE-equivalent (see below for GMAT/GRE waiver conditions).
- a statement of purpose
- 2-3 page essay format
- Stating the reason that you are pursuing an MBA at NMU
- Stating what unique perspective, qualifications, experiences and educational assets you would bring to share with your class. Also include your goals and how the program will help you move closer to them.
- a current resume.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Letters of recommendation should be written by faculty members or professionals who are familiar with your academic progress and can address your strengths as a candidate for the program. They should be written on letterhead and include their professional contact information.
The results of the GMAT, the applicant's undergraduate grade point average and relevant work experience will be evaluated together to determine eligibility for the program. Application materials are reviewed by the director of MBA program and/or a three-person faculty graduate screening committee.
Special Admission - NMU College of Business seniors who are within 12 credit hours from graduation from the undergraduate program or previous graduates who a) have completed their last 10 credits at Northern Michigan University, and b) have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, are not required to submit two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or a current resume to support their graduate programs application.
Application Due Dates
Applications are accepted throughout the year, but to ensure full consideration, the following deadlines should be adhered to:
Fall admission – July 1
Winter admission – November 15
NMU undergraduate students in the 4+1 program will meet all pre-admission requirements and apply to the master’s program during the winter semester of their fourth year. If accepted, students will begin the master’s program in the summer of their fourth year.
Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting Curriculum
For department information or additional degree requirements, go to the Business (College of Business) department page.
|Total Credits Required
|MBA Core Requirements
|BUS 530 Organizations: Structure, Behavior and Human Performance
|BUS 540 Marketing Strategy
|BUS 560 Quantitative Decision Making
|BUS 580 Financial Analysis and Management
|BUS 590 Strategic Management
|Accounting Core Requirements
|BUS 570 Managerial Accounting
|BUS 572 CPA/CMA Exam Preparation
|BUS 576 Accounting Research
|BUS 591 Internship
|1 - 3
|Electives - 3 credit with a BUS prefix
|Capstone Portfolio - Submission of a Capstone Portfolio of selected Projects to the MBA Program is required
Graduates must meet the requirements of the College of Graduate Studies as outlined in the Graduate Bulletin in addition to the following:
- Complete the minimum number of credits for the degree
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Complete a graduate capstone portfolio presentation in their last semester of study, exhibiting at least 5 course projects or areas of research and their alignment with program goals. Students are expected to present their portfolio in an open forum attended by faculty, peers, and community members. Portfolios are assessed by graduate faculty as pass/fail.
- Completion of the ETS Major Field Test for graduate business students.
Note: The following 7 courses have undergraduate course prerequisites:
BUS 540 MKT 230, Introduction to Marketing
BUS 550 DATA 109, Introduction to Statistics
BUS 560 DATA 109, Introduction to Statistics
BUS 570 ACT 240, Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting and DATA 109, Introduction to Statistics
BUS 580 FIN 351, Financial Management I
BUS 572 ACT 441, Auditing
BUS 576 ACT 441, Auditing
Relevant professional experience may be substituted for some or all of the prerequisite courses. Decisions regarding the acceptability of professional experience substitutions will be made by the Dean of the College of Business in consultation with the faculty member assigned to the course.
GMAT/GRE Waiver Requirements
All applicants must take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) before the completion of 8 semester hours of graduate credit EXCEPT if they qualify for the waiver conditions below:
- hold a Master’s or Doctorate degree from a regionally accredited university; OR
- earned a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 from a regionally accredited program
While we do not have an official minimum GMAT or GRE-equivalent scores, applicants should use the following formula to determine acceptable scores.
GPA*2.00 + GMAT/GRE-equivalent >= 1050 points
Bulletin Year: 2023 - 2024 Graduate Bulletin