Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
NMU acknowledges that historical patterns of oppression in US society—beginning with colonization, and continuing with racial and ethnic discrimination, and mistreatment of LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities and other marginalized populations—also exist on college campuses. NMU commits to understanding those patterns and will work to create a more just university and society. We must recognize that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) do not simply exist with a statement but rather must be sewn into the fabric of our university culture and values. NMU will ensure the sustainability of the comprehensive, transformative work of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and understands the long journey that will create a community where everyone feels safe, supported, and included.
Action Plan: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
- Establish DEIB leadership and increase institutional capacity to better support and improve diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts.
- Assess internal information and data in order to develop a shared understanding of the current state of DEIB at NMU.
- Ensure DEIB learning opportunities and training are available to all students, faculty, and staff members to increase individual and collective knowledge around diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Improve services and supports for students, faculty, and staff (at all levels of employment) from diverse backgrounds in ways that improve recruitment.
- Improve services and supports for students, faculty, and staff (at all levels of employment) from diverse backgrounds in ways that increase retention.
- Increase faculty engagement with diversity by improving integration of diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion into academics and promoting efforts that enhance cross-departmental collaboration.