Students doing soils research outside

Applying as a Re-Entry Student

Previous Northern Michigan University undergraduate students who have not been enrolled at NMU for at least one year (or are appealing an NMU suspension/dismissal) are considered re-entry applicants and will be re-admitted to the university provided they are eligible to do so under the Northern Michigan University academic proficiency policy. Students who attended other colleges or universities after their NMU enrollment must be eligible to return to the last institution attended.

Students who have attended other colleges, but who have never attended NMU, are considered new transfer students and will find helpful information under the information for transfer students. Students who have completed their undergraduate program but are interested in pursuing a Masters's degree should visit the graduate admission website.

Students who are applying again to be dually enrolled at NMU while still attending high school should complete the dual enrollment-permission to enroll form again.

1. Apply

If it has been one year or more since your last attendance* at NMU (or you are appealing an NMU suspension/dismissal) you must complete a new application for admission. You may complete the on-line admissions application or you may complete a paper application available from the Admissions office.  If you were suspended from NMU at the end of your last enrollment, you will receive information from the Admissions Office regarding the steps you need to take before being re-admitted.  *If you previously attended NMU as a degree-seeking undergraduate and less than one year has passed since your last enrollment, you do not need to re-apply.  Access your MyNMU account for access to course registration.

2. Transcripts

Re-entry applicants must supply transcripts from institutions attended since last attendance at NMU*.  You must have an official transcript submitted directly from each institution you attended even if no credits were earned.** Transcripts from foreign institutions need to be sent to an external agency for evaluation.

How will those credits transfer?  See the NMU Course Equivalency Database.   You will also be able to access this information through MyNMU after your courses are evaluated.

*If the number of credits you will transfer, plus any credit hours previously attempted at NMU, exceed the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.  Students who attended other colleges or universities after their NMU enrollment must be eligible to return to the last institution attended.

** NMU has an alternate procedure regarding acceptable documentation for applicants with extenuating circumstances. Applicants with extenuating circumstances should contact the Admissions or Graduate Admissions Office for more information. 

3. Appeals

If suspended or dismissed from Northern Michigan University following their last enrollment, re-entry student applicants must submit appeals to the Admission and Academic Policies Committee through the Academic and Career Advisement Center (ACAC).

If suspended and returning to NMU after the one-year suspension period Re-Entry students do not need to appeal through ACAC. In order to have Financial Aid restored however, they must appeal through to the Satisfactory Academic Progress committee through the Financial Aid office.

4. Debts

All debts to the university must be paid before course registration.

5. Scholarships

Re-entry students may have their original NMU scholarship reinstated if they:

  • Were eligible for renewal at the time they left NMU.
  • Are within the "consecutive semesters" timeline that began with the original awarding date of said scholarship. Semesters away from NMU do count in the consecutive semesters timeline.


Marching band in NMU's homecoming parade


Do you have questions about the re-entry process? Contact our admissions team and we'd be happy to help you.