Transfer Credit Process at NMU

Your hard work deserves credit

Have you completed college courses in the past?  Have you taken AP, IB or CLEP exams? Are you currently enrolled at another college or planning your next semester? Have you served or are currently serving in the military?

Step 1:  Speak with us about your desired academic program in the NMU Course Catalog.

Step 2:  Understand NMU's General Education requirements.

Step 3:  See how your credits transfer to NMU using one of the 4 tools below (including Exam Equivalencies).

Step 4:  Apply to NMU for a degree program, submitting all of your official college transcripts, including in-progress coursework. Submit AP or other test credit, too. Less than 12 college credits? Submit official final high school transcripts.

Step 5:  After you are admitted to NMU you will receive a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE). This is the official document that will tell you (and your NMU adviser) exactly how your prior credits translate to NMU credit. You will get a copy in the mail, typically a few weeks after admissions.

Your personal academic adviser will guide you during your time at Northern. Welcome!

Visiting students taking only one or a few courses and returning to their home institution click here: Guest Student Application Instructions

Transfer Credit Policy

1. NMU Course Catalog

Please check our bulletin (course catalog) to view the list of classes required for the major you are interested in at NMU.

2. Major Equivalency Guides

For currently enrolled public community college students

Are you currently at or plan to be at a public community college before transferring to NMU? We can help you understand the application of your public community college courses to specific majors at Northern Michigan University. Let us assist in the process of tracking your coursework and make your transfer an easy one!


Global Campus (fully online) students please click here.

3. Course-by-Course Equivalencies - Focused

Individually check up to 6 classes at a time.

Use this tool if you want to focus on specific course numbers - either the courses you have taken or those you may be planning to complete.*

4. NMU Course Equivalency Database

Search through a list of all* previously evaluated courses from many U.S. colleges and universities. These are current* evaluations of how the courses would transfer to NMU. In each case, start by picking the state and college you are transferring credit from to find the coordinating NMU number and title.

*Credit Note

*If you do not see a college or course listed this simply means we have not yet evaluated it. NMU automatically evaluates all courses on admitted students' transcripts. Our database will be updated regularly as new courses are evaluated and added. Contact us if you need help finding a course by emailing 

Current NMU students seeking a transfer course to take at another institution and applying it to their degree requirements should speak with their academic adviser. Click here: Academic & Career Advising Center

Other Transfer Resources

If you have completed or are completing courses at a Michigan school, check out MiTransfer Pathways as an additional transfer resource available through the Michigan Transfer Network. In addition to the resources found below on this page, you should also work with your high school or community college counselor and/or your NMU admissions counselor.  

Transfer Agreements

Northern Michigan University values its partnerships with other colleges and universities. View our articulation agreements and reverse transfer agreements using this link.

Articulation and Reverse Transfer Agreements

Exam Equivalencies

  • AP® (Advance Placement)
  • IB (International Baccalaureate)
  • CLEP (College Level Examination Program)

The Advanced Placement policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin will explain how NMU accepts credit from each source. Students who have completed Advanced Placement testing must request an AP Score Report for each test completed to be sent to NMU’s Admissions Office. Visit the College Board website for ordering information:

Tell me more about NMU!

You can sign-up to receive regular communication, reminders, and updates from us! Please sign-up here or submit your application for admissions

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Policies (For Undergraduate Transfer Students and First-Year Students with College Credit)

Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be sent to NMU*.  Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for military training are optional and consultation with a Transfer Specialist is recommended.

If a transfer course is equivalent to a Northern Michigan University course, a direct course equivalency will be granted even if the number of credits is different. Transfer courses must be at least one-half of the credit hours of their equivalent NMU course. You will receive up to the total external credit hours earned. For example, a course taken at a college that is 3-semester credits and equivalent to a course at NMU that is 4 semester credit hours will be shown on your Transfer Credit Evaluation for 3 credit hours of the equivalent course. Any non-semester credit, such as Quarter hours, will be converted to semester hours during the evaluation process.

Read the entire current Transfer Credit Policy on the University Bulletin below.

*If the number of credits you will transfer exceeds the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.

If you have specific questions, a Transfer Specialist can also assist you. Feel free to e-mail us at