Wildcat Transfer Checklist

Your steps to beNorthern

  1. Apply now! Submit your application and send NMU all of your official college transcripts (also AP, dual enrollment, etc.), including current in-progress coursework. Less than 12 college credits after high school? Send us final high school transcripts, too.
  2. Complete your FAFSA and have NMU's school code 002301 on your form.
  3. Set up your MyNMU account when admitted and start using your NMU email address.
  4. Register for orientation.
  5. Meet with your dedicated academic adviser to discuss your course registration. Send NMU all current and updated college transcripts, AP scores, dual enrollment, and other coursework to have an accurate discussion of your degree plan. Call us when you're ready at (906) 227-2650 or email transfer@nmu.edu.

Upcoming start dates

Summer 2022: May 16, 2022

Fall 2022: August 29, 2022

Visiting students taking only one or a few courses and returning to their home institution click here: Guest Student Application Instructions

Transfer Credit Resources

Check your course equivalencies, connect with specialists in your major, and learn more about transferring with these resources.

The Admissions Office considers anyone who has attempted any college coursework after high school graduation a transfer student for admission purposes. If all college credit is earned prior to high school graduation, you are considered a first-year student. Find more information on early college credit here.

If you are a current NMU student looking for courses to take at another college or university for NMU requirements, speak with your academic adviser first.

Your Transfer Specialist

We are ready to help you. Connect with your personal admissions counselor.

Kyler Phillips

"Northern's unique college experience is something that I will never take for granted. Being a transfer student and coming here from a community college, I almost regret not coming here sooner so I could take part in all that NMU and the Marquette communities have to offer students."

Kyler Phillips



Admission with Jon Teichman

Transfer Visit Days

Connect with your peers at a special Transfer Campus Visit day! The second Tuesday of each month is a special visit day just for Transfer Students like you. You are invited to experience our campus and see the beauty of the Upper Peninsula! We also offer a virtual campus visit if you can't make it in person. All visits can include a guided tour of campus by a current student, meeting with an Admissions Counselor, and meeting with a faculty member in your intended major, plus more options available.


Students working on laptops

Transfer Scholarships

You can be eligible for automatic merit scholarships whether you are an in-state or out-of-state student. NMU offers a variety of transfer scholarships for admitted students who will be enrolled on the NMU Campus. If you are a veteran or dependent of a veteran you may also be eligible for in-state tuition. Please visit our Financial Aid office's page to learn more about transfer scholarships and tuition. 


Students in dorm room


You can choose from a variety of housing options at NMU. On and off-campus housing is available for transfer students. Many transfer students choose to live on campus their entire time at NMU, taking advantage of convenience in costs, location, and easily connecting with friends and the campus community. Get more information on our NMU Housing and Residence Life page.

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Policies (For Undergraduate Transfer Students and First-Year Students with College Credit)

Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be sent to NMU*.  Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for military training are optional and consultation with a Transfer Specialist is recommended.

If a transfer course is equivalent to a Northern Michigan University course, a direct course equivalency will be granted even if the number of credits is different. Transfer courses must be at least one-half of the credit hours of their equivalent NMU course. You will receive up to the total external credit hours earned. For example, a course taken at a college that is 3-semester credits and equivalent to a course at NMU that is 4 semester credit hours will be shown on your Transfer Credit Evaluation for 3 credit hours of the equivalent course. Any non-semester credit, such as Quarter hours, will be converted to semester hours during the evaluation process.

Read the entire current Transfer Credit Policy on the University Bulletin below.

*If the number of credits you will transfer exceeds the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.

If you have specific questions, a Transfer Specialist can also assist you. Feel free to e-mail us at transfer@nmu.edu.