Wildcat Transfer Checklist
Your steps to beNorthern
- Apply now! Submit your application and send NMU all of your official college transcripts (also AP, dual enrollment, etc.), including current in-progress coursework. Less than 12 college credits after high school? Send us final high school transcripts, too.
- Complete your FAFSA and have NMU's school code 002301 on your form.
- Set up your MyNMU account when admitted and start using your NMU email address.
- Register for orientation.
- Meet with your dedicated academic adviser to discuss your course registration. Send NMU all current and updated college transcripts, AP scores, dual enrollment, and other coursework to have an accurate discussion of your degree plan. Call us when you're ready at (906) 227-2650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Start Dates
|Fall||August 29||August 28|
Visiting students taking only one or a few courses and returning to their home institution click here: Guest Student Application Instructions
Transfer Credit Resources
Check your course equivalencies, connect with specialists in your major, and learn more about transferring with these resources.
If you are a current NMU student looking for courses to take at another college or university for NMU requirements, speak with your academic adviser first.
The Admissions Office considers anyone who has attempted any college coursework after high school graduation to be a transfer student for admission purposes. If all college credit is earned prior to high school graduation, you are considered a first-year student. Find more information on early college credit here.
Transfer Campus Visit
For students currently residing and studying in the United States: The second Tuesday of each month is a special visit day just for Transfer Students like you. Experience your future on campus and see the beauty of the Upper Peninsula! Live virtual campus visits are available if you can't make it in person.
- Guided tour by a current student
- Meet with an admissions counselor
- Meet with a faculty member in your program
- See campus housing options
- And more options to choose from!
Students not in the US click here
Northern Michigan University offers a variety of transfer scholarships and financial aid for students who will be enrolled on the NMU Campus.
- Full-ride scholarship opportunity
- Automatic merit scholarships, renewable
- Competitive Foundation scholarships
- Veteran, active duty, Reserve, and National Guard in-state tuition program
- PTK Membership Scholarship of $1,000/year, renewable
Transfer Students at NMU take advantage of convenience in costs, location, and easily connecting with friends and the campus community. Get more information on our NMU Housing and Residence Life page.
- Choose from residence halls or campus apartments
- Live with students like you in a caring community
- Get support from trained professional staff
- Be near dining, recreation, and classes along with public transportation options and proximity to downtown Marquette
Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer Credit Policies (For Undergraduate Transfer Students and First-Year Students with College Credit)
Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be sent to NMU*. Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for military training are optional and consultation with a Transfer Specialist is recommended.
If a transfer course is equivalent to a Northern Michigan University course, a direct course equivalency will be granted even if the number of credits is different. Transfer courses must be at least one-half of the credit hours of their equivalent NMU course. You will receive up to the total external credit hours earned. For example, a course taken at a college that is 3-semester credits and equivalent to a course at NMU that is 4 semester credit hours will be shown on your Transfer Credit Evaluation for 3 credit hours of the equivalent course. Any non-semester credit, such as Quarter hours, will be converted to semester hours during the evaluation process.
Read the entire current Transfer Credit Policy on the University Bulletin below.
*If the number of credits you will transfer exceeds the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.
If you have specific questions, a Transfer Specialist can also assist you. Feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com.