Admissions Information for Transfer Students

If you attended any other college or university after high school, you are considered a transfer student.

If you enrolled in fewer than 12 semester credit hours (or 18 quarter hours) of college-level course work after high school graduation, your admission will be based on both high school and college academic records (college transcripts, high school transcripts).

College-level credits earned during high school are eligible for transfer credit, however, grades in those courses do not count toward the transfer GPA that we use in our admissions decision or in the awarding of transfer scholarships.

Application Instructions

  1. Application - Complete the undergraduate application for admission form. 
  2. Transcripts - Request all official post-secondary (college/university/trade school) transcripts be sent to the Admissions Office from all institutions attended, even if no credits were earned. We accept both paper and electronic transcripts.*
  • If you have been enrolled in less than 12 college-level credits after high school, please have your official high school transcript sent to NMU also. 
  • Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for military training are optional and consultation with a transfer admission counselor is recommended.
  • Transcripts from non-U.S., non-Canadian institutions must be sent to an external agency for evaluation. Transcripts not issued in English must be accompanied by an English translation. See additional details under "Transcripts" here.

Mailing address:

Northern Michigan University
Office of Admissions
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette, MI 49855

*In order for electronic transcripts to be used for admission or scholarship purposes they must be official transcripts and be submitted through a secure third-party sending service. NMU does not accept unofficial student copies or emailed copies of transcripts. Please check with your college about whether they send official electronic transcripts. 

NMU has an alternate procedure regarding acceptable documentation for applicants with extenuating circumstances. Applicants with extenuating circumstances should contact the Admissions or Graduate Admissions Office for more information. 

What happens next?

Transfer applicants are admitted in good standing if they have a 2.00 overall grade point average on a 4.00 scale for college-level courses taken at all post-secondary institutions attended after high school and are eligible to return to the last institution attended. Academic departments may have additional requirements for admission to specific programs.

Awarding Transfer Credit - Within a few weeks of being admitted to NMU, transfer applicants will receive an evaluation of their submitted transcripts detailing their transfer credit. Students transferring credit from two-year colleges may transfer a maximum of 90 semester credit hours and an additional 4 semester credit hours of physical education. In situations where more than 90 semester credit hours are completed at a two-year college level, the most applicable courses to a student's intended major are transferred. There is no maximum credit limit for four-year colleges or universities.*

*If the number of credits you will transfer exceeds the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.

Questions regarding a transfer course evaluation should be directed to an NMU transfer admissions counselor. Call 800-682-9797, 906-227-2650, or send an e-mail to