Effective the Fall 2017 semester Northern Michigan University transitioned from the Liberal Studies Program to the General Education Program. Students who are transferring credit to NMU should refer to the appropriate transfer credit key below to assist with understanding their transfer credit evaluation (TCE).
If you were admitted to NMU in the Fall 2017 semester, or any subsequent semesters, use the following Transfer Credit Key to understand how your credits fit into our General Education Program.
- Component - Scientific Inquiry (SCII)
- Component - Effective Communication (EFFC)
- Component - Quantitative Reasoning and Analysis (QUAR)
- Component - Social Responsibility in a Diverse World (SOCR)
- Component - Integrative Thinking (INTT)
- Component - Human Expression (HUME)
- Component - Perspectives on Society (PERS)
- Laboratory Science University Requirement (LAB)
- World Cultures Requirement (WC)
- Written English Competency (COMP)
- Mathematics Competency (MATH)
To successfully complete the General Education Program, students must complete ten (10) courses from the components listed above. Students must achieve a grade point average of "C" (2.0) or better across all ten courses to count toward the General Education Program requirements
- Students admitted to NMU prior to Fall 2017 with transfer credit should use the following Transfer Credit Key to understand how your credits fit into our Liberal Studies Program.
|BUS 1||Can be used as a business elective at the 100-level.|
|BUS 2||Can be used as a business elective at the 200-level.|
|FS||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division V – Formal Communications Studies.|
|GEN||Can be applied to general electives. Northern Michigan University does not have an equivalent course.|
|HUM||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division II – Humanities.|
|NS||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division III – Science/Mathematics.|
|NS/Lab||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division III – Science/Mathematics.
Meets the laboratory science requirement.
|SS||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division IV – Social Sciences.|
|TEC||May be used as a technical or general elective.|
|VPA||Can be applied to Liberal Studies Division VI – Visual and Performing Arts.|
|WC||Can be applied to world cultures requirement.|
|(Other Codes)||A department prefix (HS for example) can be applied to history major or minor electives or can be used to complete a general elective.
A department prefix (HS for example) can be applied to history major or minor electives or can be used to complete a general elective. It would appear as “HUM/HS” in this example.