Northern Michigan University values its partnerships with other colleges and universities.  Agreements with our college partners fall into one of two categories: Articulation Agreements and "Reverse Transfer" Agreements

For general transfer information, Major Equivalency Guides, and course equivalencies visit our Transfer Credit page

Articulation Agreements

These are formal agreements/partnerships between NMU and at least one other college or university to provide a clearly documented path from a specific academic program or degree at another college to a specific academic program or degree at NMU.  In some cases, the agreements are general in order to guarantee a transfer of credits or to fulfill some requirements at NMU. 

If you were following an agreement that you do not see on this list, please contact us immediately at

Bay de Noc Community College

Grand Valley State University

Nicolet College

Guaranteed Admissions Agreement

Northcentral Technical College

Northeast Wisconsin Technical College

Oakton Community College

“Reverse Transfer” Agreements

These formal agreements guarantee the acceptance of NMU credits to be transferred back to the other party of the agreement.  This provides students an option to potentially complete an associate’s degree (or Michigan Transfer Agreement) at their previous institution while continuing their studies at NMU (i.e., after the student transfers).

These can be complicated to understand, and we recommend working with an NMU admissions counselor and a counselor at the other institution if you are considering this path.

We currently have “reverse transfer” agreements with the following institutions:

Expired Articulation Agreements

These are past articulation agreements that have since expired and are not honored. They are being provided for informational and reference purposes only, and should not be used to plan coursework at Northern Michigan University. If you have questions about an articulation agreement, please email

Bay de Noc Community College

Fox Valley Technical College

Delta College

Gogebic Community College

Lansing Community College

Macomb Community College

Nicolet College (WI)

North Central Michigan College

Northcentral Technical College