In order to be approved for accommodations of any kind, students must submit documentation of a qualifying disability. Students are encouraged to submit documentation that describes the current impact of their condition and its relevance to an academic setting. 

The process of determining whether a student is eligible for accommodations is a collaborative one. All students requesting accommodations for the first time must also meet with the Coordinator of Disability Services for an intake appointment to begin a discussion regarding what accommodations would be appropriate and reasonable for the individual and the institution.

The following offers guidance on the information that may be included in the documentation. This information is useful in making informed decisions regarding accommodations that are appropriate for the student. All documentation is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and kept confidential.

It is very helpful if the documentation:

  • Clearly states the diagnosed disability or disabilities
  • Describes how the diagnosis was made
  • Is provided by a qualified, licensed professional (medical doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, school psychologist)
  • Is current and relevant
    • Reasonable accommodations are based on the current impact of the disability; please provide the most current documentation you have.
  • Includes types of accommodations that may be beneficial in an academic setting

IEPs and Section 504 plans are also useful in identifying services that may be effective.

Frequently Asked Questions

Documentation can be submitted in the following ways:

  • Login to the Disability Services portal, click on "Current Semester," scroll down, and click on "Upload Documentation."
  • Email documentation as a PDF or Word document to
  • Fax documentation to 906-227-1714.
  • Drop off in person to the Disability Services Office in 2101 Hedgcock.

Students are always welcome to talk to us about where and how to obtain documentation and explore options for support while seeking assessments. We are unfortunately unable to offer any kind of evaluations or assessments through our office.

Yes. All documentation submitted to the Disability Services Office is kept confidential and separate from academic records under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

No. Students only need to submit documentation to Disability Services when they initially request services. After a student is approved to receive accommodations at NMU, no further documentation is needed unless they receive a new diagnosis and would like to request additional accommodations.

The Disability Services Office securely stores student documentation for 7 years after a student graduates/leaves the university. If it has been more than 7 years since you last attended NMU, we will no longer have your documentation on file.