This program prepares students through the acquisition of knowledge, the development of physical skills, and a positive attitude toward activity and fitness that will enable them to perform effectively as coaches in a variety of sports. The course of study provides students with a wide breadth of knowledge in the area of sports, coaching, athlete development, management of athletes and teams, sport officiating, and implementation of knowledge.
Coaches graduating from NMU’s SHHP Coaching Program will be able to (based on the Society of Health and Physical Educators [SHAPE] coaching standards): engage in and support ethical practices, build relationships, develop a safe sport environment, create a positive and inclusive sport environment, conduct practices and prepare for competition, and strive for continuous improvement. The program reflects the current standards for coaches:
- Standard 1: Develop and enact an athlete-centered coaching philosophy.
- Standard 2: Use long-term athlete development with the intent to develop athletic potential, enhance physical literacy, and encourage lifelong physical activity.
- Standard 3: Create a unified vision using strategic planning and goal-setting principles.
- Standard 4: Align program with all rules and regulations and needs of the community and individual athletes.
- Standard 5: Manage program resources in a responsible manner.