The School of Health and Human Performance offers American Heart Association (AHA) certification courses. We are focusing our certification offerings to individuals in the health care fields, primarily AHA Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) options. We are also available for group specific requests for other AHA courses. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (906) 227-2130 if you are interested in group courses for your organization. Visit American Heart Association for their course catalog and detailed course descriptions.
Individuals seeking certification meeting requirements for teaching certification, child care center workers, and anyone interested in learning about First Aid/CPR/AED are directed to Northern Michigan University's Recreational Sports Department, American Red Cross certification courses offerings.
Northern Michigan University
BLS-Physical Education Instructional Facility (PEIF) Room 242
ACLS-Physical Education Instructional Facility (PEIF) Room 239
Questions and requests to be put on our waitlist for future AHA certification courses may contact the School of Health and Human Performance at (906) 227-2130 or email email@example.com
Students should utilize the COVID screening tool for self-screening on this site. Please expect to be screened again prior to entering the course on site. Please contact the School of Health and Human Performance if you have any questions or concerns or are ill and need to reschedule at no additional cost (firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-227-2130).
Winter 2022 Certification Course Offerings
BLS Certification Information
Heartcode BLS (Basic Life Support) Blended Learning Certification Course
This course is appropriate for professionals and professionals in training in the health fields. Students must complete both Part I on-line session, and Part II in-person, instructor-led practice and testing session.
- Part I, Online module is completed first. The online completion certificate must be presented to the Instructor upon arrival to the hands-on- in person skills and testing session (Part II). Register for on-line Part I at https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartcode-bls ($31.00 paid to AHA). Approximately 90-100 minutes to complete. On-line modules may be completed individually. After successful completion of the on-line portion, students must attend a structured Instructor-led hands-on skills practice and testing session.
- Part II, instructor-led hands-on, in person practice and testing session focuses on meaningful skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, and testing. Approximately 2-3 hours to complete, depending on class size and level of experience. Pre-registration required. Click registration link below.
Part II Hands-On Session Dates (Choose one):
-Sunday, January 16, 2022, 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
-Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. (renewals can take this, contact dept. for instructions)
-Additional dates TBD
Pre-Registration Required, General Registrant: $60.00*
BLS Renewal Course (must have current BLS certification)
The BLS Renewal course is only for individuals with current BLS certification. If your certification is expired beyond 30 days of the course date, you will need to complete the full HeartCode blended learning course Parts I and II, detailed above. Individuals must present proof of current certification on the day the class is held. Certifications expired 30 days or less prior to the session will be allowed.
DATES (Choose One):
-Thursday, January 6, 2022, 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
-Saturday, January 15, 2022, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
-Additional dates TBD
BLS RENEWAL (PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
-General Registrant: $65.00*
Textbook ISBN #978-1-61669-768-6, 2020 edition. AHA requires students taking certification courses must have access to the correct textbook, before, during, and after the course. Textbooks are available for purchase at the NMU campus Barnes and Noble bookstore and may be viewed at the NMU Lydia M. Olson Library.
ACLS Certification Course
- For healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest or other cardiovascular emergencies and for personnel in emergency response
What does this course teach?
- Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device, and use of an AED
- Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
- Airway management
- Related pharmacology
- Management of ACS and stroke
- Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
All ACLS students must complete the following supplementary information from the AHA:
- eLearning.heart.org https://elearning.heart.org/coursesearch?coursesearchvalue=ACLS+precourse prior to the course
- ACLS Precourse Self Assessment ( Approximately 1 hour) passed with a minimum of 70%
- Precourse Preparation Work ( Approximately 2 hours) includes videos and questions
- Be fully certified in BLS
- Have reviewed the ACLS Provider Manual
- Have reviewed the ACLS algorithms
- Please print and bring with your Precourse certificate to class
Full Classroom Session 2 days (16 hours)
Must purchase textbook online (same site as below) as either an ebook or textbook
DATES (Choose One Set):
Pre-Registration Required, General Registrant: $220.00*
ACLS Heartcode-Blended learning option (Those receiving certification for the first time, should choose the option above, the full classroom 2 day session)
- Part I, Online module is completed first. The online completion certificate must be presented to the Instructor upon arrival to the hands-on in person skills and testing session (Part II). Register for on-line Part I at https://shopcpr.heart.org/courses/acls ($144 paid to AHA).
- Part II, instructor-led hands-on, in person practice and testing session. Approximately 4-4.5 hours to complete.
PART II HANDS-ON SESSION DATES (Choose One)
Pre-Registration Required, General Registrant: $95.00
*Registration fee is non-refundable. If the course is canceled due to low enrollment or an event beyond our control, the registrant has the option to take another class in the same semester or receive a refund minus a $10.00 services fee.