NMU Welcomes our Neighbors to the North!

Northern Michigan University is home to many Canadian students who find life in the U.P. both familiar and exciting. There are many opportunities for Canadian students to study and participate in athletics while at NMU. The admissions and visa process is easy!  Whether you are an first time Freshman, a transfer student, or a graduate student the International Programs Office is here to support you along the way! 


two NMU hockey players


If you are from a province in Canada other than Quebec, please follow the application steps below. If you are from Quebec, please follow the application steps HERE

Complete the Undergraduate, Transfer, or Graduate application. You must meet the same admission requirements as applicants from the United States.

Submit your official academic documents directly to the NMU Admissions Office. These can be sent directly from the issuing institution via a secure electronic provider such as Parchment, Scoir, National Student Clearinghouse, or Naviance, by standard mail or by fax at 906-227-1747. Academic documents should be sent by mail to:

Office of Admissions
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette, MI 48955

Please submit academic documents for all secondary and/or post secondary institutions your have enrolled in or attended. If you have any questions regrading the documents you are required to submit, please call or email the IPO at 906-227-2510 or ipo@nmu.edu

Upon admission, complete the Certificate of Finance form showing proof of funds for the current year’s cost of attendance. This form and all supporting documents should be mailed directly to the International Programs Office at ipo@nmu.edu. This document is required before an I-20 or DS-2019 is issued.

Immigration Requirements

U.S. Immigration regulations require Canadian students to have an active I-20 or DS-2019 in order to study in the United States. You do NOT need a visa to study in the U.S. 

Upon your admission to Northern Michigan University and once you have submitted a Certificate of Finances, the International Programs Office will issue your I-20 or DS-2019. Your I-20 or DS-2019 will be sent via email. Please print and sign your I-20 or DS-2019 upon receipt. 

You will need to pay the SEVIS Fee upon receipt of your I-20 or DS-2019. Please make sure to print the payment receipt to show when you cross the boarder. 

Entering the United States

When crossing the boarder to begin your program of study, please make sure you enter the United States on your F-1 or J-1 visa. Make sure to present your I-20 or DS-2019 to ensure that you enter the country on the correct visa. 

NOTE: If you enter as a tourist, you will not be allowed to study and will need to travel back to Canada and re-enter on your F-1 or J-1 visa.

You should bring the following documents to present at the U.S. point of entry:

  • a Canadian passport,
  • your signed I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Students),
  • proof that the SEVIS fee has been paid,
  • proof of ability to pay school fees and living expenses in the United states, and
  • proof of ties to Canada. 

Jay Treaty

Northern Michigan University honors the Jay Treaty of 1794 by admitting Indigenous Canadians as domestic students, making them eligible for domestic scholarships. Applicants who meet the requirements of the Jay Treaty should use the standard application. In addition, applicants will be asked to submit one of the following documents:

  • A band card issues by the Band Council of a Canadian Reserve of the Department of Indian Affairs 
  • Birth or baptism records 
  • An affidavit from a tribal officially about you family history 
  • Identification from a recognized Native American provincial or territorial organization.

Please contact the IPO with any questions at 906-227-2510 or ipo@nmu.edu.