|Approved By:||Board of Trustees|
|Oversight Unit:||DEAN OF STUDENTS|
The academic proficiency policy defines the academic standards students must meet to be considered academically successful at NMU.
The academic proficiency policy defines the academic standards students must meet to be considered academically successful at NMU. Students must maintain a minimum Northern grade point average of 2.00 to be in academic good standing. Students with an NMU GPA below this level will be placed on academic probation and will have to meet certain semester GPA requirements to remain at NMU (see academic probation standards).
Students are notified of their academic status in their end-of-semester grade report. Any questions regarding academic proficiency should be referred to the Academic and Career Advisement Center.
Levels of Proficiency
1) Good Standing: Students with a minimum NMU GPA of 2.00 or higher are considered to be in good standing.
2) Academic Probation: Students with a GPA that falls below a 2.00 (or those initially admitted to the University on probation) will be placed on academic probation and must meet certain semester GPA requirements based on the Academic Probation Standards (below). Students who fail to meet these requirements will be suspended from the University. Students remain on academic probation until they attain good standing (2.00 overall GPA).
Students on academic probation will also have to meet certain requirements of their probation including, but not limited to, meeting with their academic adviser on a prescribed basis, enrollment in developmental courses, repeating appropriate coursework, etc.
3) Immediate Academic Suspension: New freshmen and transfer students who have 8 or more credit hours and a GPA of less than 1.00 in their first semester of enrollment will be suspended immediately.
4) Academic Suspension: Any student on academic probation who fails to attain specific semester GPA requirements (see Academic Probation Standards) will be suspended from the University.
5) Academic Dismissal: Students who have previously been academically suspended from NMU, re-enter, and are academically suspended again, are dismissed from the University.
Academic Probation Standards
This table provides a quick reference to the semester GPA that students on academic probation must attain to remain at NMU.