|Approved By:||Board of Trustees|
|Oversight Unit:||DEAN OF STUDENTS|
Policy regarding visitors to student residence halls.
Northern Michigan University recognizes the maturity of residence hall students and seeks to provide numerous opportunities for them to interact freely, learn to utilize good judgment in those interactions, and to accept the related responsibilities. Consistent with these efforts, this Visitation Policy is intended to extend the privilege of having guests of the opposite sex in their rooms and lounge areas to those students living in residence halls.
1) Hours: Students may have visitors of the opposite sex in their residence hall rooms and lounge areas twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven days a week, unless specifically changed by those affected or by the President or his for her designee (as specified below).
2) Rights of Residents: Each residence hall student has the right to privacy and quiet within his/her room and may veto the implementation of this policy as it pertains to his/her room. Difficulties between roommates or suitemates in regard to this provision which cannot be resolved should be brought to the prompt attention of a Resident Adviser (RA) or other Office of Housing and Residence Life staff member.
3) Conduct: The conduct of the residents and their invited guests must be in accordance with the regulations and administrative policies listed in the Student Code and the University Ordinances. It is the responsibility of the host/hostess to ensure that his/her guest(s) know and understand all University rules, regulations and ordinances. Students using the privilege of visitation may not engage in cohabitation or indecent activities which contravene State Law.
4) Overnight Guests: Overnight guests of the same sex as the residents of the room are permitted in accordance with the Guest Registration Policy.
6) Note: The application of this policy to individual student rooms and suites will be discussed and determined by roommates and suitemates in conjunction with the Roommate and Suitemate Agreement processes.