06.00 Conduct Disruptive Of University Affairs - Northern Michigan University
06.00 Conduct Disruptive Of University Affairs
The Northern Michigan University Board of Control has determined that ordinances for the protection, benefit, government and control of persons and property within the boundaries of lands under the jurisdiction of the Board of Control are essential to secure the successful operation of the University, maintain good order, promote the designed objectives of the University, and obviate unnecessary and improper interferences with University activities and the lawful activities of those coming upon such lands. The Board of Control, therefore, adopts the following ordinances.
Faculty, Staff, Students or Community
No persons shall deliberately hinder, impede, or disrupt the academic or administrative work of members of the University community by intruding into the areas where such work is normally conducted with conduct inappropriate to the place and purpose of such work.
6.02 No persons shall deliberately hinder, impede, or disrupt any graduation, banquet, or similar University ceremonial function by engaging in conduct inappropriate to the place and purpose of such function.
6.03 No persons shall deliberately hinder, impede, or disrupt any instructional, theatrical, athletic, social, recreational, or other event or activity held on University property by engaging in conduct inappropriate to the place and purpose of such event or activity.
6.04 If the President of the University or designee attends a demonstration, assembly, rally, or other gathering on the University campus and concludes on the basis of personal observation that the effect of such demonstration, assembly, rally, or other gathering would, if considered as the result of deliberate acts by individual persons, constitute a violation of any of the provisions of subsections .01 through .03 of this regulation, the President or designee may:
(1) Declare the demonstration, assembly, rally, or other gathering to be a disruptive assembly;
(2) Issue, or cause to be issued, to the participants in such assembly a notice of such declaration reasonably suited to reaching the participants under the circumstances, and
(3) Direct the participants that they must disperse or vacate the premises within ten minutes.
6.05 No persons shall participate in, join, or assist any disruptive assembly duly declared to be such under the provisions of the preceding subsection; nor shall any persons remaining in the immediate vicinity of a disruptive assembly which has failed to disperse after expiration of the aforementioned ten (10) minute period refuse to identify themselves correctly upon request by an official of the University.
6.06 No persons shall willfully remain in an area, which the person has been directed to vacate under subsection .04 (3) when in so remaining on the premises, the persons= presence constitutes;
(1) A clear and substantial risk of physical harm or injury to other persons, or of damage to or destruction of University property, or;
(2) An unreasonable prevention or disruption of the customary and lawful functions of the University by occupying necessary space or by use of force, or by threat of force.
|Approved By:||Board of Trustees|
|Oversight Unit:||PUBLIC SAFETY AND POLICE SERVICES|