Wildcat Statue

International Travel Registry Policy

International Travel Registry Policy

To ensure compliance with U.S. Department of State, Center for Disease Control, and Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations and advisories, as well as University policy and insurance requirements.

All faculty, staff, students, and others traveling internationally using University funds or on behalf of the University.

Northern Michigan University (herinafter the University) is committed to the safety and security of students, faculty, staff, volunteers and others traveling internationally on behalf of Northern Michigan University.

The International Programs Office is responsible for developing and implementing international travel safety and security practices.

All persons who receive financial support from Northern Michigan University to travel internationally as well as all persons who travel internationally on behalf of Northern Michigan University will register with the International Programs Office prior to each trip.  In addition, all will abide by the established safety and security procedures established by that office.

Registration will occur during the trip planning process.  No unregistered persons will receive compensation for or reimbursement of trip expenses.

All faculty, staff, students and others traveling internationally using University funds or on behalf of the University are required to submit a complete “International Travel Registration” at least 2 weeks before the travel dates take place. The link for the registration is on the MyNMU site for employees and students. 

Note added 3/23/23: International Travel Registration through the MyNMU site is different from registering for travel in Concur. The Controller, Vendor Payables, International Programs, and Police Dispatch use the information gathered through the MyNMU International Travel Registration.

In contrast, the Concur registration is a way for the department paying for the travel to acknowledge that they are aware of the trip plans and the expense that will be incurred. Many departments stopped requiring Concur travel registration when the MyNMU international travel requirement was put in place. However, each department may decide whether to require Concur travel registration in addition to MyNMU International Travel Registration. 

Before registration, please gather the following documents. These will need to be uploaded. All documents must be in PDF format.

  • Phone and Email traveler will use while abroad
  • Emergency Contact Information
  • Passport identification page
  • Hotel and Institution Contact Information
  • Flight Itinerary

After the international travel registration has been submitted, an email will be sent to your supervisor from goabroad@nmu.edu. Your supervisor will need to approve your “International Travel Registration”.

Records Management will check the following resources and advise you concerning any restrictions or additional permission needed for travel authorization to proceed:

If your travel region has a Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) travel alert, this will be decided on a case-by-case basis with input from the faculty/staff Department Head and the NMU Safety Department.

If the travel region has a Level 4 (Do not travel) travel alert, NMU will not approve travel in this region.

The NMU Controller's office will not release funds if the travel has not been approved in the system.

Please call the Records Management Office at 906-227-1241 with any questions.


Date Approved:11-28-2012
Last Revision:11-28-2012
Last Reviewed:11-28-2012
Approved By:President
Oversight Unit:RISK & INSURANCE