Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant Programs

This grant provides money to college or career school students to help pay their education expenses.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Undergraduate student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of September 11, 2001
  • Were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death

Award: Pell Grant eligible students will receive the maximum Pell Grant Award. Non-Pell Grant eligible students will receive the Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant award. Exception: the amount will not exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Application: Submit a FAFSA

Additional information regarding the Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant Programs can be found here. The payment procedures are the same as those for the Federal Pell Grant. Learn how (and when) you’ll be paid.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John D. Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) currently pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) that makes education benefits available to the surviving spouses and children of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Beneficiaries attending school may receive up to their full tuition and fees for a public school plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program. Currently the benefit is available to the children of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Effective January 1, 2015 this benefit is extended to surviving spouses of military personnel who died in the line of duty after September 20, 2001.

Eligibility Requirements:


  • Eligibility begins on their 18th birthday or the date they begin attending an authorized program
  • They may use the benefit until their 33rd birthday

Surviving Spouses:

  • A spouse has 15 years from the date of the Service Member’s death to utilize benefit
  • Benefit will terminate upon remarriage


  • Entitled to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level
  • 15 years to use the benefit
  • Not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program

Additional information can be obtained here.

NMU Veterans' Resources

There are many smaller veterans service organizations around the country that might offer scholarships. Check with your local organization or try a scholarship search.




GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill .


Other Online Scholarship Searches

Several free scholarship searches can be found online. It is best to avoid any scholarship service that requires a fee.