Board of Trustees Academic Affairs Committee
The Board of Trustees of Northern Michigan University hereby establishes a Committee on Academic Affairs.
Three or four members shall serve on the committee and shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board with the consent of the Board. The Board Chair and the President of the University shall serve as ex officio members. Terms of the members' service on the Committee shall be for one calendar year.
Recognizing that the Board of Trustees is ultimately responsible for the operation of the University, the Academic Affairs Committee is charged with exercising oversight and review of policy, planning, and strategic issues, and with making appropriate recommendations on these matters to the Board.
The Academic Affairs Committee is expected to make appropriate inquiry into the maintenance of the integrity of the University's academic programs and whether they are consistent with the University's Mission.
The Committee's scope of inquiry shall be to:
- Advise the Board of Trustees on matters pertaining to academic personnel, programs and budgets, and to assure that these are properly integrated in support of the mission;
- Periodically review and assess academic priorities;
- Review and ensure that the University assesses the effectiveness of its academic programs.
In support of the above, the Committee is expected to:
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding new degree, major or certificate programs, program terminations, and other significant program modifications;
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding program accreditation and certification;
- Receive and review reports resulting from the Academic Program Review process;
- Receive and review reports regarding the planning processes and objectives of the Academic Affairs Division;
- Receive and review reports on such matters as faculty development, research, economic development, public service, cultural affairs and other areas relevant to the work of the Academic Affairs Division.
- Ms. Lisa I. Fittante, Chair
- Ms. Tami M. Seavoy
- Mr. Stephen E. Young, ex officio
- Dr. Kerri D. Schuiling, ex officio