NMU's newly Master of Social Work (MSW) program is an exciting opportunity for human services professionals to earn a graduate degree and take their careers to the next level. Our mission is to prepare advanced practitioners of social work by extending the department's and profession's commitment to higher learning that promotes service, social justice, human rights, and dignity, worth and well-being of individuals, groups, families, organizations, and communities through specialized clinical and advanced generalist practice.
At NMU's graduate tuition rate, our 50-credit regular standing program or 36-credit advanced standing program, are some of the most affordable routes to an MSW in Michigan. With a wide array of field placement opportunities across the Upper Peninsula, our flexible global campus option for distance students, and our options for clinical or advanced generalist concentration, we offer students an education that meets their individual career interests and learning needs.
On-campus or Global Program Options
NMU offers two program options for MSW students:-
- Traditional Campus (in-person) - Learn and practice from our beautiful campus located in Marquette, Michigan, in the heart of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
- Global Campus (online) - Complete the program from anywhere in the region, allowing for more flexibility to meet the work life balance.
While both program options follow the same curriculum and course sequence, work with the same professors, and are part of the same graduating cohort of students, there are some key differences designed to accommodate your unique learning and living circumstances.
Interested in a part-time option? E-mail MSW Program Director Sarah Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Most classes take place on campus in traditional, brick-and-mortar, classroom settings.
- Students will have the option to take many elective courses in-person or online if preferred.
- Students will work closely with other in-person students within their courses, but will also have the opportunity to connect with Global Campus students through virtual learning.
- The program’s Field Coordinator will play an active role in selecting and facilitating the field placement process.
When applying to the program, potential students should specify their preference for Traditional or Global Campus in their personal statement.
Global Campus Option
- All classes take place online. Global Campus uses Zoom and other online platforms to keep students connected.
- Most classes offered within the program are delivered in a synchronous format, meaning you will attend classes at a specific time, often in the same group as the traditional students.
- Students will have the opportunity to work closely with other Global students, but will also have the chance to build connections with traditional students, all in a convenient virtual format.
- The student will be the primary person to identify and apply for field placement in their unique geographical area.
For Global Campus admission, preference will be given to students living in the Upper Peninsula (outside of Marquette County), northern lower Michigan, and northern Wisconsin, however please apply if you live outside these areas.
Accreditation applies to all program sites and program delivery methods of an accredited program. Accreditation provides reasonable assurance about the quality of the program and the competence of students graduating from the program.
For more information about social work accreditation, you may contact Accreditation.
MSW Program Information
Check here the Program admission requirements and policies here.
Curriculum and Concentrations
The NMU MSW Program offers several curriculum options based on admission standing and chosen concentration.
Regular Standing Overview: Students who have completed an undergraduate degree in a field other than social work should apply for regular standing.
Advanced Standing Overview: Students who have completed a BSW from a CSWE accredited program should apply for advanced standing.
Students enrolled in the NMU MSW Program will have the choice of concentrating on one of two areas: Clinical or Advanced Generalist.
For more information check NMU Graduate course search.
NMU offers a unique opportunity for field placement in an urbanized rural setting. To read more about Field Placement check here.