UBMS Summer Program at NMU
Northern Michigan University Upward Bound Math-Science offers a summer program that engrosses students in an unforgettable educational experience. Program participants will have fun learning about math and science through hands-on projects and bond with their classmates through group activities. They will also have the opportunity to take an educational trip at the end of their summer experience.
Participant Code of Conduct
Our goal is to provide the highest quality program in a safe environment for every participant. Please assist us in maintaining a safe and enjoyable environment by following the following code of conduct
- Learn and follow the rules.
- Be respectful of the feelings and properties of others. Show others courtesy and treat them the same way that we want to be treated.
- Show respect to the staff and cooperate with their instructions and rules.
- Communicate with others in an appropriate manner. We will not use foul words, vulgarity, or harassing language.
- Never verbally or physically harm other participants and/or staff.
- Understand that any form of violence, including pushing, kicking, hitting, or fighting is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- Respect privacy. Using cameras, imaging, or digital recording devices is prohibited near showers, restrooms, or other areas where privacy is expected.
- Use the buddy system. Each participant/camper will be accompanied by another participant/camper at all times.
- Use equipment and supplies in an appropriate manner.
- Stay in safe areas. Don’t leave the building or areas designated by your program supervisor or staff. When moving across campus and crossing streets, only cross in the designated crosswalks.
- Tell an adult if you or someone else is hurt or injured.
- Stay until it is time to go. Participants are to remain in designated areas on campus for the duration of the program unless program activities require otherwise. If a participant needs to leave campus for some reason, the program administrator must receive written permission from the parent or guardian and grant specific permission.
- Be fully responsible for our actions and understand the consequences of any inappropriate actions.
Other NMU Rules:
- Sexual abuse or harassment will not be tolerated.
- Hazing, bullying, and cyber bullying will not be tolerated.
- Possession or use of weapons or explosive devices is prohibited; NMU Police Department exceptions are allowed.
- Misuse of internet privileges is prohibited. Attempting to access unauthorized sites will not be tolerated.
- Tampering with fire equipment, security equipment, or locks is prohibited. This includes fire extinguishers, fire alarms, smoke detectors, etc.
- Vandalism and pranks are prohibited. Misuse of equipment and damaging property is prohibited. Any damage caused will be charged to the responsible party. All furniture must remain unchanged and kept in place. Replacement cost will be charged to anyone who removes or damages university property.
- Tobacco is prohibited on all campus property; NMU’s tobacco-free policy details the rules and requirements.
- The possession or use of alcohol and other drugs is prohibited.
Housing and Overnight Rules:
- All curfews will be followed.
- Participants in an overnight program are not permitted to be housed in the same room with an adult unless the person is the minor’s parent or legal guardian.
- By default, minors will be housed with other minors who have the same gender identity assigned at birth. Requests for exceptions should be made to the program administrator.
Consequences for misbehavior or breaking our code of conduct rules may be:
1st Offense: Verbal warning
2nd Offense: Written warning and incident report
3rd Offense: Removal from site and parents notified
If behavior persists and the situation is severe or egregious, the program administrator will immediately suspend the participant. After due process, permanent expulsion from the program may result.
Please click here for Northern Michigan Univeristy's full Minors on Campus Policy.