The Grants and Contracts Office is responsible for oversight for all grants and research conducted by employees and students at Northern Michigan University. Grants and Contracts administers internal grants and oversees external grants awarded to faculty, staff and students.
Within this context, two committees serve with oversight responsibilities for the protection of human or non-human subjects used in research. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee oversees care and use protocols for animals. The Human Subjects Research Review Committee oversees protocols involving the use of human subjects in research.
External grants which NMU faculty, staff or students apply for must be reviewed by this office prior to submission. For more information www.nmu.edu/grants.
For more information, contact the Grants and Contracts Office at 906-227-2456.
Key Faculty Dates
- September 15 - Applications to department head.
- September 29 - Departmental judgments and rankings to College Advisory Council (CAC) and dean (and approved applications to Office of Graduate Studies Research).
- October 6 - Appeals of department decisions must be received by CAC.
- October 21 - CAC and dean judgments and rankings to Faculty Review Committee (FRC).
- October 28 - Appeals of CAC and dean decisions must be received by FRC
- November 11 - FRC judgments and rankings to provost and vice president for Academic Affairs.
- November 18 - Announcement of sabbaticals by provost and vice president for Academic Affairs.
- November 29 - Final adjustment date for accommodated sabbaticals.
Promotion and Tenure
- October 1 - Faculty applications for tenure or promotion shall be forwarded to the department.
- November 8 - Departmental recommendations shall be forwarded to the College Advisory Council (CAC) by the department head if either one of them is positive.
- December 8 - CAC’s positive recommendations for tenure or promotion shall be submitted to the dean.
- January 22 - The dean shall submit the dean's positive recommendations for tenure or promotion to the Faculty Review Committee (FRC).
- March 8 - The FRC shall forward its positive recommendations for tenure or promotion to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs.
- April 8 - The provost and vice president for Academic Affairs shall forward recommendations for tenure or promotion to the Board of Trustees.
- February 1 - The faculty member submits the evaluation to the departmental evaluation committee.
- April 1 - The departmental evaluation committee submits the evaluation to the department head.
- April 30 - The department head submits the departmental evaluations together with a statement of concurrence or nonconcurrence to the faculty member for review and comment.
- May 15 - The faculty member submits the signed evaluation to the department head with comments as appropriate.
- May 20 - The department head submits the faculty evaluations to the dean.
- June 30 - The dean signs the faculty evaluations and submits comments, if any, to the faculty member.
- September 15 - The faculty member may respond to any comments made by the dean.