Dr. Lee Roecker
My students explore the coordination chemistry of sulfur containing ligands (such as thioethers or thioureas) to cobalt(III). These projects are a blend of a variety of chemistry disciplines. Students often prepare the organic molecule we want to attach to cobalt, the appropriate cobalt precursor, purify the resulting complexes, and then characterize them by UV-visible and NMR spectroscopies.
My primary teaching interests are introductory chemistry courses such as CH 105 (Chemical Principles), CH 111 (General Chemistry I), and CH 112 (General Chemistry II). I truly enjoy helping students obtain a solid chemistry background. In addition, I currently teach laboratory sections of CH 321 & 322 (Organic Chemistry) and lecture and laboratory for CH 440 (Forensic Chemistry).
- “Reaction of 2-pyridylmethylthiourea Derivatives with [(en)2Co(OSO2CF3)2]+ Induces Hypodentate Coordination of an Ethylenediamine Ligand.” Lee Roecker, Alison Anderson,* Aladdin Al-Haddad,* Cawas Engineer, * Joan Fetty,* Charles Kiaza, * Nicholas Noinaj, * Nathan L. Coker, Jeanette Krause and Sean Parkin. Accepted for publication. Australian Journal of Chemistry, February 2014.
- “Synthesis and Characterization of [(en)2Co]3+ Complexes Coordinated by Substituted Thiourea Ligands.” Lee Roecker, Mohammed Aiyegbo,* Aladdin Al-Haddad,* Emily Fletcher,* Ravi KC,* Jason Hurst,* Timothy Lane,* Ryan Larsen,* Nicholas Noinaj,* Say Lee Teh,* Samuel K. Wade,* and Sean Parkin. Australian Journal of Chemistry 2013, 66, 944—951.
- “Synthesis and Base Hydrolysis of a Cobalt(III) Complex Coordinated by a Thioether Ligand: An Advanced Inorganic Chemistry Experiment.” Lee Roecker. Journal of Chemical Education 2008, 85, 1562-1565.
- “Oral Examinations—Assessing Student Understanding and Teaching Effectiveness.” Lee Roecker. Journal of Chemical Education 2007, 84, 1663-1666.
- “Using the Primary Literature: An Integrative Exercise in Quantitative Analysis.” Lee Roecker. Journal of Chemical Education 2007, 84, 1380-1384.
- “A Science Portfolio.” Lee Roecker, Jay Baltisberger, Matthew Saderholm, Paul Smithson and Larry Blair. Journal of College Science Teaching 2007, 36, 36-44.
- “Guiding The Passion.” Lee Roecker. Journal of the Assembly for Extended Perspectives on Learning (JAEPL). 12 (Winter) 2006-2007.
*indicates undergraduate student