NMU is a transfer-friendly institution and courses transfer from accredited colleges and universities all over the world. You are considered a Transfer student if you are currently enrolled at, or previously attended another post-secondary college or university and want to finish your bachelor's degree at NMU. 

To apply to NMU as an International transfer student, complete the following steps: 

If you are transferring from university in the United States, please send your official transcripts from your institution directly to NMU's Admissions Office. 

If you are transferring from a university in a country other than the United States, submit your transcripts to one of the following external credential evaluators below. Submit your official documents in both their original language and English. Official documents should be sent directly from your educational institution to the evaluator.  

SpanTran - use this NMU evaluation application

ECE – select the “course by course report”

WES – select the “course by course report with ICAP”

Other NACES-approved evaluator 

NOTE: Transcripts will need to be provided for every institution you have attended or at which you have been enrolled. This is true even if you do not want to transfer the credits to NMU.

If transferring from a U.S. institution of higher education, there is no need for further proof of English language proficiency if the following conditions have been met:

  • Applicant has earned a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in 12 or more college-level semester credit hours from a U.S. institution of higher education. Credits must include college-level English composition and/or speech with grades of C or higher.

However, if transferring from a U.S. institution of higher education and these conditions are not met, applicant must prove sufficient English language in one of the ways listed below: 

  1. English proficiency tests:
    • TOEFL - minimum score of 61 iBT/173 CBT/500 PBT
    • IELTS – minimum overall band score of 6.0
    • MELAB – minimum score of 69
    • ITEP - minimum score of 3.7 or higher
    • PTE Academic - minimum score of 50
    • Duolingo - minimum score of 95
  2. Diploma from a U.S. high school (other proof may be required if courses on transcript are listed as ESL)
  3. Diploma from an international school with U.S. regional accreditation (as verified by AdvancED at
  4. Diploma from IB curriculum school whose medium of instruction is English (as verified by IBO World Schools at If applicant went to an IB school with two or more language of instruction, the applicant’s transcript must specify that their program was English language.
  5. Diploma from high school/secondary education in a country where English is the official language. Transcript must show four years of high school English (composition and literature-based) with C or better grades. List includes:
    • Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati,Liberia, Micronesia, Namibia, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, St. Lucia, St. Vincent Grenadines, St. Kitts & Nevis, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
  6. SAT test (prior to 2016) Scores of 500 or higher on both Critical Reading AND Writing sections.
  7. SAT test (2016 or later) A score of 28 or higher on the SAT Writing and Language section AND a score of 560 or higher on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.
  8. A score of 21 or better on ACT Combined English/Writing
  9. Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in 12 or more college-level semester credit hours from a U.S. institution of higher education. Credits must include college-level English composition and/or speech with grades of C or higher.
  10. Successful completion of Level 112 in the ELS Language School

*Other proof of English proficiency may be considered on an individual basis.

After you are admitted, international students are required to provide evidence of their ability to finance their total educational costs by completing the Certificate of Finances. An official I-20 document will not be issued until adequate funds are guaranteed for your educational needs.

  1. Complete the Certificate of Finances Form
  2. Email the completed form and all supporting documents to or mail the completed form and supporting documents to

Northern Michigan University
International Programs Office
Cohodas 203
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI  49855

If you are transferring form a U.S. institution and already have an Active SEVIS record, you are eligible to transfer the record to NMU. Please work with your current International student advisor to complete the form and the Transfer-In process. 

Oredock with frozen lake

"My experience at NMU has been amazing—I think that Northern has so much to offer. They have a great Art program and it is situated in such a magical place. From the moment I came here I knew it was the right place for me and I am happy for my decision."

Ana Alzaga

Home Country: Mexico

Frequently Asked Questions

Students who are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and who will require a visa to study in the United States.

Students with dual U.S. citizenship should apply as a U.S. citizen, even if living outside the United States. Students with refugee or asylum status should provide proper documentation of status and follow domestic application instructions

NMU accepts applications all year round whenever they are sent. However, we recommend the following deadlines. Please be aware that it can take a long time for some parts of the application to be completed. Make sure that you have time to send all of your application documents, receive your immigration documents (I-20) in the mail, apply for your visa, and prepare your travel arrangements.

  Fall Semester Winter Semester Summer Semester*
Suggested Deadline April 15 Sept. 1 Jan. 15
Final Deadline June 1 Oct. 1 March 17

*Students may only start undergraduate level studies during the fall or winter semesters

2023-2024 Cost of Attendance

One Year (Two Semesters)

Undergraduate Graduate MBA
Tuition and Fees $18,800 $15,056 $14918
Room & Board $12,752 $12,374 $12,374
Books & Supplies $720 $560 $560
NMU Health Insurance (12 months) $1,782 $1,782 $1,782
Personal & Travel $2,148 $2,266 $2,266
Total Costs $36,202 $32,038 $31,900

Withholding Taxes
International students on nonimmigrant status visas ("F", "J", "M", or "Q") are subject to federal withholding tax on the amount of scholarship income they receive above the cost of their qualified tuition and fees.  The current withholding rates are 14% for documented international students and 30% for any student whose citizenship status is unknown or undocumented.

Health Insurance Costs
For information about insurance for dependents, please contact NMU's International Programs Office at or 906-227-2510.

NMU has easy to use online credit transfer information for students in U.S. community colleges.  Visit our Credit Transfer website to learn how your current credits will transfer to NMU. Typically, students who transfer to NMU with an Associate’s degree can earn their Bachelor’s degree in just two years.