You should plan to arrive at Northern Michigan University no later than the Monday before classes start. If you choose to arrive any earlier than that you will need to make arrangements at one of the local hotels in Marquette Michigan.

Here are some hotel options: 

Undergraduate and Exchange International students are required to take a placement test (Accuplacer Test) to help determine what level of an English Composition class each student should be placed into. The test will be offered the Wednesday of orientation week in the morning. 


  • Students who transfer in EN 111 or higher do not need to take the Accuplacer test.
  • Exchange students who provide the International Education Services with a passing English Proficiency score or a DAAD score of a B1 or higher.
  • English Language Proficiency Admission Policies


Northern Michigan University’s Housing Policy is as follows:

All single undergraduate students shall live in University residence halls while enrolled for classes at Northern Michigan University; provided, however, that this requirement shall not apply to those undergraduates who:

  1. have reached junior status (56 or more hours of college credit) prior to registration for classes for the fall semester or
  2. have resided four or more semesters in residence halls, or
  3. are (21) years of age or older on or before the last official day of registration for the fall semester, or
  4. are residing at home with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s)*,
  5. are veterans who qualify for veterans’ benefits by virtue of active service in the armed forces, or
  6. are taking 8 or fewer credits during the semester in question.

*With a typical class schedule of nine (9) credits or more, it is expected that the commuting distance from their home will be no greater than 60 miles.

Once you are admitted to NMU you can complete a residence hall (aka Dorm room) or apartment application and pay a $250 housing deposit. You can start checking into your room the Tuesday before classes start. You will be charged approximately $25 for each day before your actual housing contract starts.

Housing contracts start the Thursday before the first day of classes.

When traveling outside of the USA you will need to have your immigration document signed by a Designated School Official (DSO) in the International Education Services. If you do not get the required signature and you are already home, you will need to send us your immigration document for signature and then we can send it back to you by regular US mail (can take up to 4-6 weeks) or If you would like them sent by express mail, please go to and create an account and pay for the shipping. Detailed instructions on Eship here.

Please be sure to check your visa status. If you have an expired visa, and you leave the US, you will be required to apply for a new visa before you can re-enter the US.

Northern Michigan University offers you the opportunity to receive or ship your documents through a safe, quick and dependable delivery service. If you need your documents quicker, we use an express mailing service that will allow you to receive the documents through DHL or FedEx in three to five days. Requesting your documents through express mail is at your expense, and your credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only) will be charged upon requesting the service. To request express mailing of your documents, go to the  University Express Mail Services website.

For detailed information, please see Eship Global.

You will need to have created your NMU E-mail account and know your username and password in order to view the current course offerings through your account. Please follow the step by step instructions for course selection.

Before you can apply for a social security number you must have a job offer. Your supervisor will need to complete a Social Security letter (J1 or F1) for the Social Security Office. Please bring this letter to the International Programs Office (IPO) so the bottom portion can be completed. While at the IPO you will receive the social security application along with the following instructions:

What to bring to the Social Security Office (300 South Front Street in Marquette, MI)

  1. Social Security Application – obtain this form at the International Programs Office
  2. Letter from your supervisor and a DSO - J1 or F1
  3. Passport
  4. I-94 – you can print a copy of your I-94.
  5. Immigration document (I-20 or DS 2019)
  6. Visa

Below is a link to the income tax forms you may need to complete your mandatory filing.  Please contact International Programs staff for any questions.

U.S. Federal forms:

State of Michigan forms:

Students on an F-1 visa may be authorized once per program level for a reduced course load for one of three reasons: academic difficulties in the first semester, need fewer courses in the last semester, or illness or medical reasons. Please click HERE for more information.