Marketing Services Overview
University Marketing and Communications is available to serve as a resource for internal departments and groups. Review the guidelines and resources found on this page, then reach out to us for help on your marketing projects.
Examples of things UMC can assist with include:
- Marketing plan development
- Budget recommendations
- Tactic implementation
- Media buying
- Graphic design
In addition to supporting the marketing efforts of on-campus, Marketing Services also works with external vendors and advertising partners in its management of the university's media buying process. If you are an outside partner who would like to submit a proposal or outlet for consideration, please contact us at the link provided below:
Advertising Assistance for NMU Departments
A variety of groups across campus are responsible for the various advertising-related duties:
- University Marketing and Communications - develops and executes recruitment-oriented advertising to advance the mission of the university.
- Public Broadcasting - develops and executes program and public service announcements related to WNMU-TV 13, Radio 90 and university designated cable channels.
- Human Resources - responsible for the development and placement of staff employment advertisements.
- Academic Affairs - responsible for the development and placement of all faculty vacancy announcements.
- Athletics – responsible for advertising as it pertains to Wildcat athletics teams and event venues.
All other requests to advertise university programs and services must be approved by the sponsoring department and UMC. Funding for development and placement of advertising is the responsibility of the sponsoring department.
The following guidelines are applicable to any advertisement that is either sponsored by or has an implied sponsorship of Northern Michigan University.
- Advertising sponsored by the university shall be for the purpose of reaching appropriate constituencies to disseminate information about educational opportunities, cultural events, recreational services, athletic events, public broadcast programming and employment opportunities.
- Use of an official university mark is required. Marks must be used in accordance with the university's graphic standards manual. An official from UMC must approve any alterations or exceptions.
- Any advertising construed as objectionable is strictly prohibited. Types of objectionable elements or content include, but are not limited to:
- Discrimination (either overt or by omission) on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or age;
- Profanity, obscenity, lewdness or any suggestions thereof; and
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products in name, likeness, or implication.
- The university reserves the right to be the sole judge of appropriate advertising.
- Sponsors of advertising programs should allow adequate lead times to develop creative concepts and produce quality-advertising materials, as well as plan and place media.
Giveaway Item Requests
UMC stocks a variety of giveaway items available for campus departments to use in their recruiting efforts. Departments are limited to a set number of free items from UMC per academic year, but additional pieces are available at a reduced rate.
If you are interested in ordering swag specific to your area, UMC recommends working with these vendors:
Printing services provides design assistance for these items, if needed.