The News and Media Relations area (also known as the NMU News Bureau) operates as part of University Marketing and Communications, located in 409 Cohodas. Our primary mission is to foster a positive public awareness of the university and its programs through the general news media. We are here to assist university departments in publicizing events, achievements and advances through the following services:
- Producing news and feature stories about the university and distributing them to appropriate local, regional and national media. (Marketing and Communications has sole authority to disseminate university-related news releases)
- Pitching story ideas to select media for independent coverage.
- Advising personnel and departments on effective/feasible ways to promote key messages to external constituencies.
- Handling media inquiries and referring reporters to relevant sources for information.
- Providing media training in group or one-on-one settings to prepare Northern faculty and staff for news interviews.
- Producing and posting content for Northern Today, NMU's official news site, and contributing content for the alumni magazine, Northern Magazine.