Auditions and Casting
- All students enrolled at NMU, regardless of major, are eligible to audition for any production.
- At the discretion of the director, auditions for a production may be opened to NMU faculty, staff, and/or members of the community.
- Casting decisions are made by the director of each production, according to the needs of the production. All other factors being equal, students will be given preference in casting. The decision of the director is final.
- Theatre and dance students must maintain satisfactory academic progress to be eligible to audition. All students cast in a production must maintain university eligibility requirements (sufficient academic progress).
- Theatre and dance majors are encouraged to accept any role which they are offered.
- Rehearsals for productions are typically held in the evening. They usually begin between 6:00pm and 7:00pm and may run for up to four hours. Weekend rehearsal times will be determined by the director of the individual production. Directors will make time changes as needed.
General Rehearsal and Performance Rules
These rules apply to all productions rehearsed and performed in the Forest Roberts Theatre and James A. Panowski Black Box Theatre. Additional rules may be added by the director.
The following behavior is unprofessional and will result in dismissal from the cast or crew:
- One unexcused absence from a scheduled rehearsal or crew call.
- Three unexcused late arrivals for scheduled rehearsals or crew calls.
- Possession, use, or abuse of drugs or alcohol on the premises of the Forest Roberts Theatre or the Panowski Black Box Theatre.
- Stealing, defacing, or destroying personal or university property.
- A major violation of the Forest Roberts Theatre Code of Ethics.
Each company member is expected to monitor the above behavior and, if necessary, report a breach of conduct immediately to the director, the technical director, the production stage manager, or the Head of the Theatre and Dance Department.
Cast members may be removed from a production by the director or by action of the theatre and dance faculty. Crew members may be removed by the technical director or the production stage manager.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: I want to audition, but I cannot attend any of the audition days. What do I do?
A: Please contact our Director of Theatre, Bill Digneit, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Can I read the script before auditions?
A: Contact the Theatre and Dance Marketing Office for details about scripts available to check out. You can call us at 906-227-2760 or email us at email@example.com.
Q: I just want to be on run crew.
A: You can indicate your interest in crew positions at the Season Premiere Party (start of fall semester) or Halfway Party (start of winter semester). You can also email our Technical Director, David Pierce, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: I have other questions. Who can I ask?
A: Email us at email@example.com!