About the Theatre For All Initiative
Northern Michigan University and NMU Theatre and Dance are thrilled to bring accessible performances to our community. As partners with Theatre Development Fund's Autism Theatre Initiative, we are proud to offer a sensory-friendly performance of each show in our mainstage season!
What is a sensory-friendly performance and what should you expect?
Each sensory-friendly show is performed in a friendly, supportive environment for families and friends with children or adults who are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder or other sensory sensitivities.
Slight adjustments to the production are made, including reduction of any jarring sounds or strobe and spot lights that shine into the audience. House lights are faintly dimmed but remain on. Quiet and activity areas staffed with specialists are available in the lobby areas for those who need to leave their seats during the performance.
Upcoming sensory-friendly productions:
- Above the Timberline *
- Saturday, October 16th, 2021 at 2:00pm
- Elf the Musical
- Saturday, December 4th, 2021 at 2:00pm
- Next to Normal
- Saturday, January 29th, 2022 at 2:00pm
- The Wolves
- Saturday, February 19th, 2022 at 2:00pm
- The Producers
- Saturday, April 16th, 2022 at 2:00pm
- A Complicated Hope
- Saturday, June 11th, 2022 at 2:00pm
- Saturday, June 18th, 2022 at 2:00pm
- Buffett Bash
- Friday, July 1st, 2022 at 8:00pm
- A Chorus Line
- Saturday, July 16th, 2022 at 2:00pm
Past sensory-friendly productions:
- Disney's Tarzan
- Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 2:00pm
- East of the Sun, West of the Moon *
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 1:00pm
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 1:00pm
- Mamma Mia!
- Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 1:00pm
- Legally Blonde Jr.
- Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:00pm
- The Full Monty
- Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 1:00pm
- What We Leave Behind: Addressing Climate Change Through Dance *
- Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 1:00pm
- A Christmas Story
- Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 1:00pm
- Significant Other
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 1:00pm